right check the drum sound ive got.. (2 Viewers)

the departed

in light of the home studio thread the following is a drum sound i got in a home studio.
the room is a 2 car garage which we semi soundproofed with cheaper rockwool. no acoustic treatment at all. thin carpets on the walls too.
mics used are:
AKG d112 on the bass drum.
sennheiser bass drum mic on the beater side.
one AKG c1000s overhead over the kit.
another c1000s about 7 foot away as a sort of room overhead.
samson snare mic on the top skin.
samson tom mic on the bottom skin.
akg clips on all toms.

mix wise its pretty rough. threw some compression on the kick and snare.
and i didnt spend too much time engineering the sound either.
i would have liked to have spent longer on the snare.

the track with guitar and stuff is just something i did last night. i just D.I'd the guitar and bass into a motu 828 to give an idea of full band sound.
the track is for sound demo purposes only:p whipped it up in 5 mins.

heres the links..
DRUMS WITH GUITAR AND BASS
DRUMS ON THEIR OWN

okay sorry guys i thought i could figure out geocities.
gonna have to wait until pete gets the ones i mailed him then he can host it.
unless anyone knows where else i could host em?

wow. great roomy sound. me likes. is mattys set up with recording gear all the time now?

mix that track down and double it and put mild distortion or overdrive on one of the tracks. that would be amazing!

and i love the crazy tuning on the floor tom the way it rings out for ages!

those drums are much crisper than mine.

wow. great roomy sound. me likes. is mattys set up with recording gear all the time now?

mix that track down and double it and put mild distortion or overdrive on one of the tracks. that would be amazing!

Nah used my own gear.
D112 kick
57 on the side of the snare.
C1000 close over head (centre of cymbals) about 12 inches up.
Another C1000 about 6ft back (in phase)
C418's on toms with a 58 on the bottom of the floor tom.

On the subject of distortion on drums:
http://www.decal-artifacts.com/stuff/palace-dub.mp3
Solo-ed drums from the Palace Dub rehearsal on my myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/decalaced

Same set-up as above with some logic plug-ins - compression, reverb and a boss overdrive/distortion fed back in on an aux.

haha. dude that set up is identical to mine except i didnt have a 57 on the snare (which is what i really wanted). and the bass drum mic on the beater side. crazy how they sound so different. just goes to show its all about placement. i also used the logic plug ins!

oh and r.e- distorted track.
think i just woke up the whole house playing that!

Really like the way the kick drum sits in your mix with the bass and guitar.
Some serious wallop off it.
I'm always a bit guilty of carving off a bit too much eq for a pristine mix when sometimes it's way better to let stuff fight it out the way they do in the real world.

haha. dude that set up is identical to mine except i didnt have a 57 on the snare (which is what i really wanted). and the bass drum mic on the beater side. crazy how they sound so different. just goes to show its all about placement. i also used the logic plug ins!

oh and r.e- distorted track.
think i just woke up the whole house playing that!

Different room.
Matty's is real reflective. Wooden floor and plaster board ceiling give the snare, hats, toms, etc some real presence - even with close mic'ing - like a really tight reverb.
Kick drum is hard in that room for some reason - never really seem to be able to get a good clean low thud without picking up the rest of the kit.

yeah i know what you mean. i dont like when things end up really "seperated" in the mix. have you tried doubling up your kick tracks?
eq one low and eq the other at a higher freq or pull up the high mids..seems to work well for me.
and ive really grown to using a mic on the beater side for more oomph.

gonna record something new this weekend and record the guitars and bass with nice mics through nice amps and see how it sits.

Different room.
Matty's is real reflective. Wooden floor and plaster board ceiling give the snare, hats, toms, etc some real presence - even with close mic'ing - like a really tight reverb.
Kick drum is hard in that room for some reason - never really seem to be able to get a good clean low thud without picking up the rest of the kit.
oh well you see our room is carpets on the floor and on all the walls with a plasterboard roof. makes a huge difference dont it?
could you cut out some squares of carpet and tack them to the walls? or get some rugs for the ground. . .
or even get a few people to chip in and get some of that acoustic treatment stuff off thomann..?

this thread could get interesting..
should have people suggest different types of compression/eq/mic placement etc

yeah i know what you mean. i dont like when things end up really "seperated" in the mix. have you tried doubling up your kick tracks?
eq one low and eq the other at a higher freq or pull up the high mids..seems to work well for me.
and ive really grown to using a mic on the beater side for more oomph.

gonna record something new this weekend and record the guitars and bass with nice mics through nice amps and see how it sits.

Yeah - tried a good few things.
Like I say it's a reflective room - so if the mic is too far back so I can pick up the low end I get too much spill from everything else.
Too close and I get too little bass.
From now on i'm just gonna trigger an 808 kick (for the low end) from a gated double of the acoustic kick drum for the low end. Easier than pissing about for hours and getting nowhere. And it'll sound awesome too :)

oh well you see our room is carpets on the floor and on all the walls with a plasterboard roof. makes a huge difference dont it?
could you cut out some squares of carpet and tack them to the walls? or get some rugs for the ground. . .
or even get a few people to chip in and get some of that acoustic treatment stuff off thomann..?

this thread could get interesting..
should have people suggest different types of compression/eq/mic placement etc

Nah - I love that room sound - it's what I generally want with drums.
If I need a tight sound I'd record drums elsewhere and just drape the place and gate the f**k out of everything besides the overheads and room mics.

yeah im all about the room sound myself...
might try some different reverbs on the overall kit to see if i can mimic it all all. or some slight delays.

yeah im all about the room sound myself...
might try some different reverbs on the overall kit to see if i can mimic it all all. or some slight delays.

Now that's the really hard part :)
i've never found a reverb that can mimic a decent room sound.
Only thing I ever did that kinda worked was playback a drum mix over monitors and record a new room mic track. Gave some nasty phase problems but it sounded good for what it was.

i never, ever really mess around with sounds and things, mainly due to my mild retardation, but years ago i was meant to be doing a tycho brahe remix, and never got much further than messing with drum treatments

http://www.thedudleycorporation.com/drumulars/drumloop.wav

what bugs me, is that i forget entirely how i got that sound, i love it, and would kill for it again!!!

i never, ever really mess around with sounds and things, mainly due to my mild retardation, but years ago i was meant to be doing a tycho brahe remix, and never got much further than messing with drum treatments

http://www.thedudleycorporation.com/drumulars/drumloop.wav

what bugs me, is that i forget entirely how i got that sound, i love it, and would kill for it again!!!

Sounds awesome.
I'm hearing a load of gating on the hats and serious compression on the kick and overall mix if that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back