dudley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
Nintendo really want to have something special up their sleeve when they finally reveal the Revolutions "gimick", because on the strength of the leaked specs, things look a little more than concerning

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html

Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube.
IBM's "Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz. GameCube's Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. In comparison, the original Xbox's CPU clocked at 733MHz.
Revolution's ATI-provided "Hollywood" GPU clocks in at 243MHz. By comparison, GameCube's GPU ran at 162MHz, while the original Xbox's GPU was clocked at 233MHz.
"The 'Hollywood' is a large-scale integrated chip that includes the GPU, DSP, I/O bridge and 3MBs of texture memory," a studio source told IGN.
Revolution will operate using 24MBs of "main" 1T-SRAM. It will additionally boast 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU.

Yeah the specs are bad, but compared to the competition so was the gameboy, DS, Snes and the gamecube. But they all had amazing first party games that everyone wants to play!

I dunno, this isn't really all that big a shock to me. They said that they weren't getting involved in the specs arms-race with Sony and MS and that they were never really planning for the Revolution to be much more powerful than the Gamecube.

A few of the lads in work went to GDC and got to play about with all the latest Sony and Microsoft demos, which they've hardly said anything about. But they also got to play about with the Revolution controller and keep talking about that with giant grins on their faces. They said it's going to be lots and lots and lots of fun and they can't wait to start playing proper games with it.

everyone thought the psp would kick the ds's ass. The psp has the wow factor but the ds has more fun games and generally more enjoyable games!! nintendo have always been first at doing things. first to bring in 6 button joypads, first for rumble shock, first for dual analog, first for wireless controller. Everyone of those things has been huge and i dont think there is any way the new controller will not take off!!

a619ca4a9426c23ad06cc0b59158ef00.jpg

once it has a decent mario kart, they'll be laughing!!!!!!!

mario kart rocks.|..| .|..| .|..|

nofriendo said:
everyone thought the psp would kick the ds's ass. The psp has the wow factor but the ds has more fun games and generally more enjoyable games!! nintendo have always been first at doing things. first to bring in 6 button joypads, first for rumble shock, first for dual analog, first for wireless controller. Everyone of those things has been huge and i dont think there is any way the new controller will not take off!!
Yeah I remember all of that. They got a fair bit of stick (no pun intended) with the N64 controller. "nobody would want an analogue stick on a console" now they all have them. The rumble pack feature they released for the N64 was seen as a 'gimick' that nobody would want. Within a year Sony had released their rumble pads now again they all have them. They've introduced a new control method with the handhelds : not just the touch screen but also some of the GBA games have sensors for tilting the console as a means of control. The ds is still outselling the psp. My psp has become a paperweight of late. They've got a really good thing going with the ds now as it seems to attract a lot of people who never really played games in the past.
Sony recently put a patent in for a "3d" control system not too dissimilar to the revolution control system.
Both sony and MS are using their new machines in a way to grab customers in the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war rather than concentrating on the games. This is why the ps3 has been delayed, as they're having blu-ray related problems. Nintendo have stated that the new machine won't be HD capable and is geared at being just a games machine and not also a full home entertainment device.

holy moly. a US mag has leaked pics of the first revolution game. looks *incredible*
they got to play it and the controller is pretty much genius.

hoorah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back