restaurant recommendation - tippenyaki (1 Viewer)

frambosenshmak

Website
Visit site
Its been quite some time since i've had a good night out in a restaurant thats covered decent service, quality of food and good price so well but tippenyaki does this with aplomb.

ate there last week and was advised to get a seat at the bar in this small japanese restaurant thats just down side lane beside swan centre in rathmines. The bar has a grill located on three sides of it and theres a chef manning the open grill who serves the people sitting directly in front of him so its quite a personal and personable experience.

We ordered the king prawn and the mixed fish of salmon, scallops and shrimp. All ingredients were brough raw and fresh to the table and it was reassuring to see it was proper large king prawn and not tiny shrimp. Before the show began we had time to polish off a bowl of miso soup thats included in the meal.

I say show because thats what it was - showmanship of good cooking, friendly conversation and a bit of ninja style trickery when it came to disposing of the fishshells and the eggs for the freshly cooked fried rice (i wont spoil it, go see for yourself). This is not a disneyland-esque grimacing behind a costume experience, its all quite relaxed and done with ease as the chef kills time between waiting for the food to cook. You dont have to engage with him but its hard not too as the conversations quite interesting (our chef had worked in Japan and Dubai so has some good food stories)

We had ample portions of fried onion, sauteed potatoes, fried rice, beansprouts and tippenyaki style fish straight off the grill.Everytime the chef added an ingredient to the meal he mentioned it and usually had a wry or funny comment to make about its contribution to the overall taste of the dish. All the food was delicious and devoured with gusto.

We got talking to the chefs afterwards and their passion for running a restaurant with good food was evident. They were shocked that having been open 5 months they werent packed out, but i reassured them word of mouth is the best advertising you can get.

So here i am mouthing off about great food, friendly service and a good priced meal (two main fish courses with fried rice and miso included 40euro. wine starts from 18euro, so you can eat for 29euro a head). They also do fresh sushi and there are steak, chicken and vegetarian options.

There was a woeful indo review of this where the journalist scoffs that this restaurant is "5 years too late", i say its never too late for a good place to eat. Ckeck it out, i'd be surprised if you're disappointed.

Arigato gozai-mas!

Yep, this place is great. Anywhere that gives you giant portions is good in my book. Most places, when my plate arrives, I'm like, is that all? Does this come with anything? Didn't have that feeling at all in Tippenyaki. In fact, my dish came with EVERYTHING. Score.

Giant portions, eh? I have to go. Thursday.

make sure you book a place at the bar/grill. its where all the action's at. the chef asked us were we local. i took one look at my raggedy clothes and laughed. he was surprised we'd travelled across the city to eat there and i didnt for a second question having to do that in dublin to find a good place to eat. which in a way is depressing but at least there are some good places to eat in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back