Rental Agreements (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
You all seem to be knowledgeable. I am looking into some of this but if anyone knows anything please post.

Is it true you have to give 42 days written notice to vacate an apartment even though your year lease is up in two weeks? Does one really need to let them know 42 days before the end that they don't want to renew?

Does an apartment need two exits for fire safety? If one is a window, 4 stories up, does it need a fire escape? Or is the window and drop 'good enough'?

If you plug a TV in without cable how many channels does one get?

Anyone have a studio/bedsit? If so, what was your average heat/electricity bill?

I might be having haggling remorse.

Is it true you have to give 42 days written notice to vacate an apartment even though your year lease is up in two weeks? Does one really need to let them know 42 days before the end that they don't want to renew?

Notice period should match the frequency of rental payment, as in one month notice if rent is paid monthly. Usually.

Notice period should match the frequency of rental payment, as in one month notice if rent is paid monthly. Usually.

Even if I signed a year lease that had an end date? My lease ends the 30th of April, shouldn't I just be able to leave? Why do I need to give notice when I already signed an agreement that I'd leave on the 30th?

You could just try saying to them, 'by the way, you know I'm out of here at the end of the month?' and try to make it look like they're in the wrong (which they might be). They might not have a problem at all - you never know I find. Also, if they have a problem, you can tell them that x, y and z is wrong with the apartment/other tenants and that maybe the place isn't suitable for tenants at all and maybe the relevant authorities should have a look at it and generally imply that you'll make life difficult for them. I've never done this, but it's usually in the back of my mind when I'm negotiating leaving a place.

Just give them a buzz and ask them what the story is.
You're living in the gaff, it's not like they can gas you in your sleep or anything to get you out. And as I seem to be saying all over this forum, it's a renters market.

There are 4 terrestrial channels on your TV btw.

You could just try saying to them, 'by the way, you know I'm out of here at the end of the month?' and try to make it look like they're in the wrong (which they might be). They might not have a problem at all - you never know I find. Also, if they have a problem, you can tell them that x, y and z is wrong with the apartment/other tenants and that maybe the place isn't suitable for tenants at all and maybe the relevant authorities should have a look at it and generally imply that you'll make life difficult for them. I've never done this, but it's usually in the back of my mind when I'm negotiating leaving a place.

If a landlord ever gives me mad hassle about something I'm going to point out that I know where they live and imagine if someone just happened to throw a brick through their car's windscreen or something terrible like that.

Honestly, probably not. I've moved so many times (never stayed anywhere longer than a year over the past 16) and they are basically the same. I have never heard of a lease that requires 42 days notice to leave unless you're breaking the lease and leaving early. Bah. I told them I did not want to renew because the place was overpriced when I took it (it was) and now with the market the way it is I could go elsewhere and find a place with more amenities for cheaper. They came back with an offer (18%) but I declined it. Mostly because this place has no laundry facilities and I find it not only very costly but a pain in the ass. Plus my bike was stolen because I was not allowed to bring it in at night. However, the location is perfect and I really don't feel like packing up and moving, which is very unlike me. I put a lot of work and time into this place. It feels like home or maybe I'm just being really lazy. Probably the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back