Regular Ska, Soul or Rockabilly nights in Dublin? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Vin
  • Start date
  • Replies 30
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 1

Vin

Name them.

Ska:

I know the Bionic Rats play every Sunday evening in The Foggy Dew and there's irregular 'big' concerts i.e. Symarip, Toots&The Maytals, The Beat etc.. but there doesn't seem to be any place in Dublin holding regular ska nights spinning Trojan/Studio 1 or even two-tone tunes. Am i mistaken?

Soul:

There's a fairly healthy Northern Soul/Motown/Rare soul scene. Sleepless Nights Soul Club put on great nights on the last friday of every month.

Here's this month's flyer:
SleeplessNights.gif

Rockabilly:

I've only checked out Rocket 88 once in Ruaile Buaile and the place was absoltely dead. Was very disappointed.

Does the Dice Bar still do nights on a Sunday?

Fortunately there seems to be some good gigs coming up:

26thJulygig.jpg

August9thgig.jpg

Traycee and another lad used to do a regular night of DJing ska and soul in The Thomas house but they gave up after a few weeks of playing to an empty bar!!

the thomas house?

The Thomas House is up on Thomas Street (aptly enough). They have two bars, one upstairs, one down. Never seen the lower one used though!
They used to have Northern Soul nights that were pretty popular but I think the place got raided one too many times and it eventually closed down.
It reopened a while ago with a new owner.

I'm not sure that many people are into calypso, ska, 2tone and the like. One or two songs go down well as part of a more 'indie' set etc. but that type of music seems monotonous to alot of people. By the way I've still got some of those ska etc compilations (tracklist over at the compilation thread) if anyone wants one.

The Thomas House is up on Thomas Street (aptly enough). They have two bars, one upstairs, one down. Never seen the lower one used though!
They used to have Northern Soul nights that were pretty popular but I think the place got raided one too many times and it eventually closed down.
It reopened a while ago with a new owner.
that sounds a lot better than the thomas house i know, which usually involves being hungover and having the bad mccarthy smoke my last fag. having refused to share his smokes with me the night before. cunt.

The Ghost Town night in Belfast is meant to happen once every month, the second Friday of the month. However recently I've just been cancelling it if there is a gig on the same weekend, as there is just no point.

Ah. I remember reading somewhere about that time back, but haven't heard anything about it since i have started coming down to Belfast regularly so thought it wasn't happening anymore.

Traycee and another lad used to do a regular night of DJing ska and soul in The Thomas house but they gave up after a few weeks of playing to an empty bar!!

Never knew that this was on. If something similiar starts again, will defintely check it out.

Ah. I remember reading somewhere about that time back, but haven't heard anything about it since i have started coming down to Belfast regularly so thought it wasn't happening anymore.

The last one was in June. July didn't happen because there was some sort of bank holiday involving marches where everyone fights each other on, don't know what that's about, and August will probably cancel because there is a gig on in the Front Page the night after.

Ah bummer! If there is one in september and i am not too fucked up by Queens preparation i might pop down.

But what can you do with those funny men dressed in black with an orange scarf? Not the friendliest bunch, are they.

That is the shit thing. Derry is closer to God-forsaken Portstewart/Coleraine but i know fuck all people there on which floor i can crash on. Not bloody fair!

Never knew that this was on. If something similiar starts again, will defintely check it out.

Were you at the do up in Bohs with Roddy Moreno, Colin Riot and Traycee on the decks? That was a night we'll have to top!

I went to rocket 88 not so long ago and the place was packed though that may have been because the shack shakers were playin and eveyone just headed up there after (thats how i ended up there anyhow) twas a great night but from what i hear the club is only gonna be running every second weekend as there wasn't enough people goin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back