Referendum (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0
RTE News:
The counting of votes in the abortion referendum is continuing at centres around the country.

Early indications from Dublin suggest that the proposal will be heavily defeated in the capital, while the early boxes opened in Cork City indicate an even split among Yes and No votes. The result in Galway looks like being very close, while Wicklow appears likely to vote No.

Tallies from most constituencies, which will give an indication of the final result, are expected over the course of the next hour. A final result is due later in the afternoon.

It is believed that voter turnout was relatively low, though indications are that it surpassed last June's Nice referendum. Voters appear to have turned out in greater numbers in urban areas.

"This government is totally unscrupulous. It would say anything to get you to vote their way," said Ms Sile O'Reilly (60) who voted no because, she said, "you couldn't get me to say yes to abortion no matter how you dressed it up".

silly woman.

It perfectly illustrates how so many people didn't bother their arses to inform themselves - so many people I spoke to thought it was a choice between a definitive yes we will allow abortion, or no,we won't.

can we celebrate yet?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2002/0307/breaking30.htm

Probably best to wait - it's not looking too well outside of Dublin.

Don't blame me, I went all the way down to Clare to vote.

its actually really scary if you look at the commentsa thing on ireland.com..all these people talking about how a yes vote will stop our country descending into barbarianism and protecting the fort!whatever that means..apparently its only us and the phillippines who still have laws like this.thats so crazy..

Aertel has good coverage of the counts

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p120.htm

The current national tally is at

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p122.htm

it will be so rockin if it does get defeated..a kick in the teeth to that silly cow mary o'rourke and to the whole government really..two referendums in two defeated doesnt look to good for poor old bertie does it?but knowing my look there will be no other no votes and the rest of the bloody country will vote yes..but fingers crossed..

Oh praise the lord (or the bad weather in the country). Its a No! Or so the frontpage of the herald says anyway. apparently it was nearly 2 to 1 for a no vote in dublin.

No is currently ahead by 10k votes. The only constituency that hasn't declared is Galway West, and they should do so in the next half-hour or so. It's all a bit tense.

its so strange that everywhere seems to be heralding a no vote when there is still so little between the sides.we can but hope i spose...when is the final result out?my computer is the slowest thing ever in college so its talking forever to load aertel and stuff..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back