Records 2 CD's (1 Viewer)

sparse

Website
www.facebook.com
I'm gonna try to record my records onto my PC and burn them onto CD, can anyone help.

What file type do I use (.wav?), what quality do I use 16bit, ya-da-ya-da. Also how much space I'm I gonna need etc.

thanks

wav is the standard audio format for recording to cd, but as alex says, Nero will also convert mp3s while its burning. The problem with mp3s is that they're impossible (I think) to edit without first converting them to wav. So if you record a song to mp3 and there is some crap on the beginnning or end you want to remove, you're going to have to convert to wav anyway. So wav is better. But it takes a lot more space - about 10 megs for a minute of music - or 400 megs for a 40 minute album - not really all that much on most new pcs.

I find the whole process quite tedious and time consuming, probably because my pc is not exactly state of the art and occasionally skips a split second when recording large files. This means I have to listen to the whole album after recording it on to the pc to check for errors and re-record any tracks as neccessary. Then I have to spend ages breaking it down into individual songs and editing away any unneccessary crap at the start or end of the song. Also the sound quality of the resulting cd is never that amazing - the quiet bits at the beginning or end of songs are always hissy. I'm sure other folks with better equipment have had more success than me, but I wouldn't do it again unless I had to - e.g. if I borrowed a record from someone and wanted a copy. You might be better off trying to borrow cds of your albums and copying them, or recording the records onto minidisk, if you have one - it's a lot easier

Yea, that all sounds about right. Wav or AIFF files but decent cd writing software will handle mp3 as well (although with the loss in sound quality why would you do that).
I remember compiling a TRM cd of all their 7" once for iano to take away on holidays with him. It took ages and was a pain in the hole (didja hear that Ian, the things I do for our friendship, sheesh)

hey, if there's any one putting together a band I have a brilliant name that I'll sell you. "duish" It's actually the sound that kids make when they pretend to punch someone. Go on say it out loud "duish"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back