recording with external HD (1 Viewer)

potlatch

Website
www.monkeybomb.com
Right now, when recording with Logic, I write directly to an external Western Digital MyBook Pro via Firewire 800.

Just wondering if it's rediculous to do the same with a mini external hard drive like a WD Passport external drive connecting via USB 2.0?

you're "rediculous"

brian02bike.72.jpg

you mean redundantly go to both at the same time? or usb 2.0 drive instead of fw800 drive?

I've got a drive the same as yours, and if you mean to use the mini external instead of the 'big' drive:
usb2 gives a bigger data-pipe than fw400, so you could def. get a whole lotta simultaneous tracks going with a usb2 route-- even more than with a fw400 route. And it's usual to get 32+ tracks playing back well from a fw400 drive, or record 18 simultaneous tracks in a pass (assuming you've got open, unfragmented space on the drive).

Like you know, fw800 allows for even more simultaneous tracks than usb2; but if a mini-drive has an in-built buffer as big as/and rotation speed equiv. to yer 'big' drive, it'd make for easier portability etc to use the mini at usb2 connection. THOUGH if the drive is slower than 7200rpm, nightmares await you! And if the mini drive is usb-bus powered (instead of using its own dedicated power supply), I'd be hesitant...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back