recording on the 'puter (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pad
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 1
aye, and theres the rub, see i need to know what cpu and all this techno jargon is as well. my problem with cakewalk is that after i record one single track any further tracks keep kind of skipping or something and the only way to advoid this is to record in installments.
advice please...
:p

maybe this might help. its a cakewalk uses board.

http://www.bikexprt.com/cakewalk/

maybe we could compile a list of help topics for all major platforms, logic, cubase, etc...?

Pat (11 Apr, 2002 12:59 p.m.):
aye, and theres the rub, see i need to know what cpu and all this techno jargon is as well. my problem with cakewalk is that after i record one single track any further tracks keep kind of skipping or something and the only way to advoid this is to record in installments.
advice please...
:p

It seems like you don't have enough ram pat,how much have you got and what speed is your processor?A cpu is the central processing unit,which kinda means your pentium etc.

are you running audio as well as midi? if the computer is any way slow you're going to have skipping once you start piling the tracks up. occassionally there is a way to reduce this skipping, just by reducing the latency. this means you'll have a bit of a time lag between the screen registering the notes being played, and the sound coming out.

My spec is
A pentium 700mhz CPU,
128 Megs of Ram and a
sound blaster live card with load hard disk.

I make tracks which are made up of
16 tracks normally, samples, midi, virtuals synths/ plugins and a shit load of FX and it all works perfectly.

think of midi as a triggering system, or a language which allows musical instruments to talk to each other. on its most basic level, if you connect the midi out from one keyboard into the midi in on an other, and play a note on the keyboard, it will trigger the same note on the second machine. then, once you've got that sorted you can daisychain loads of machines together and have them communicate with each other. a sequencer (be it hardware or software) talks to midi instruments, such as synthesisers and tells them what notes to play, and when to introduce modulation.

thats the basic idea anyway.

Sprite boy has his head screwed on,thats a pretty fast system.Is it a desktop or laptop though?
You should see the prices of the laptops over here,at least half what they are back home.I seen a p3 850,256 MB,30 gb,DVD/CR-RW/CD all for 2100 candian dollars which is about 1500 euros!!
You know,if you knew somebody in north america that you could send the thing too,they could send it onto you and you would still save a fortune.Only problem is with warranties and the like.

nine (11 Apr, 2002 03:55 p.m.):
Sprite boy has his head screwed on,thats a pretty fast system.Is it a desktop or laptop though?

My machine is a desktop! The only reason I didn't buy a laptop is
1. The Price $$ at the time
2. The standard of sound cards on laptops ain't the greatest plus there isn't a lot of room for expansion.

Good explaination on MIDI herv. I use a midi keyboard to play all my notes and record everything onto the sequencer and then assign the notes to what ever sound I can on the Pc.

The Zoom Trak234 in the 'Buy and Sell section' was a good idea @ the time but I just don't have any use for it. I was going to control it from the sequecer but I then realised I had I all the sounds I needed on the puter!

Anyone got sample CDs they would like to trade?

and what kind of midi junk can you use on a puter? by the way at this juncture i would like to point out how greatful i am for all this info. i'd really like to start recording some stuff beyond the basic piano, guitar and ancient organ sitting beside the computer (by organ i mean philicordia, not...well y'know) so what kind of decent instrument/blip thingys/electronica kind of shit can you kids reccomend?

Pat (11 Apr, 2002 08:42 p.m.):
and what kind of midi junk can you use on a puter? by the way at this juncture i would like to point out how greatful i am for all this info. i'd really like to start recording some stuff beyond the basic piano, guitar and ancient organ sitting beside the computer (by organ i mean philicordia, not...well y'know) so what kind of decent instrument/blip thingys/electronica kind of shit can you kids reccomend?

Now we're gettin stuck in.I got a load of shit off a friend a while ago,all on one cd aswell!!
For a good synth,check the Pro-52 by native instruments or the fm7.
I haven't found many good drum machines yet apart from hammerhead and the one that comes with reason.
And there is this other yoke that i have only touched on but it looks fuckin great.It's called sound forge by sonic foundry.
It allows you to import sound files (i'm not sure which format) and then fuck around any way you want.You can really torture the bits and bytes with this thing but it takes a bit of learning.
I haven't much experience making anything with these programs cause i haven't had access to a computer for a while.
You can download all this stuff aswell from winmx.

Here is list of Software I use and what they do.

* Fruity Loops v3.11 - Sequencer Samples, VST Plugins, FX, Midi
... http://www.fruityloops.com

* Modplug Tracker - Freeware form of sequencer Samples, Midi, FX
... http://www.modplug.com/

* Rebirth - 2 x TB303 Acid bassline machines, 808 and 909 Drum machine. If the original innovators in Soft Synths.
... http://www.propellerheads.se/index.php3

* Acid Pro 3 - Great for time stretching. Easy to use and great for remixing
... http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/NewShowProduct.asp?PID=462

* Sound Forge - Sample editor. Record change, chop , put Fx on you r sounds mp3 or wav.

* Steinberg Wavlab - The as Sound forge but a bit posher =)

i simply use sonic foundry vegas video 2 to record (i got sent about 300mb of amazing plug in's for it).
to master and edit individual wavs i use sound forge 5.0

if it's good enough for pinback 8)

I just got into all this PC recording stuff recently, and I have to say that it's opened up a whole new world...you can basically create any sound or arrangement you want in your own time...no rushing in and out of a studio, and plenty of time to 'work' songs out.

I've got a Soundblaster Audigy card and it'll do me for now...the Soundblaster cards are regarded as a joke to the serious PC musicians but they're just the ticket for starting out because you can buy them complete with a nice handy front panel for you to plug your analogue, digital, midi or optical cables into. Another nice feture of the newer SoundBlaster cards are 'Soundfonts' which can make midi files sound very realistic...I used to always associate MIDI with cheap 80's keyboards, but you can use it to produce some brilliant instruments/effects and you don't even have to know how to play them...just 'type 'the notes in!

I use Cubase now, because it handles both Audio recordings and MIDI so you get the best of both worlds...also it hooks up very easily with Reason and other plug-in effects, so you don't have to be jumping in and out of Fruityloops for your drum samples.

Cool Edit Pro is a really good beginner's program for getting to know the mechanic of PC editing/arranging.

After that the best place to look for info are the messageboards...there are loads of really good ones but they can be pretty daunting if you're a beginner Pat...but using the Search command on these forums is better than any website article.

Anyways...that's my Tuppence.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/
http://www.audioforums.com/

Sprite Boy (11 Apr, 2002 05:10 p.m.):
nine (11 Apr, 2002 03:55 p.m.):

Good explaination on MIDI herv. I use a midi keyboard to play all my notes and record everything onto the sequencer and then assign the notes to what ever sound I can on the Pc.

cheers mate. i lived slept and breathed MIDI for about 5 years so i think i've got a reasonable idea, but it can be restricting. its all audio now for me.

The Zoom Trak234 in the 'Buy and Sell section' was a good idea @ the time but I just don't have any use for it. I was going to control it from the sequecer but I then realised I had I all the sounds I needed on the puter!

Anyone got sample CDs they would like to trade?

oh em, hmmm. have you got any orchestral samples i could get off you?

oh em, hmmm. have you got any orchestral samples i could get off you?

I don't have many orchestral samples. I normally do all my own string arrangements etc. using midi sounds. I have taken some samples from film sound tracks

Check out Angels on www.edwinjames.com See can you spot the sample in thisl. Mp3.com didn't even notice it! and it is the tracks foundation

I will put some sample packs together and put them on the net tomorrow for ya !

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back