Recording a Ride Cymbal (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ogy
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 731
  • Watchers 0

ogy

hey i posted this on boards music production forum too, just said id through it up hear incase anyone has any ideas:

im workin on a spectral electroacoustic piece and i want to analyze the spectrum of a 22' ride cymbal using audition.

im recording it using a c414 and was wondering if anyone has any advice about mic placement for such a beast of a thing:)

i know they probably resonate in all sorts of directions but any ideas on where would be a spot to capture a reasonable balance?

it doesn't have to sound good or anything, its a purely scientific recording:)

thanks
ógy"

Try putting the mic with pickup pattern pointing directly downwards about 3 feet above the cymbal, half way between the bell and the rim. I'd have to try it myself to be sure, but logically that should give a pretty "representative" sound.

If you're in a really good room, stick it on omni pattern, if not, stick it on hyper cardioid.

Oh yeah, and disregard everything I've said and try it a lot of other ways too.

Remember the cymbal will sound different depending on how it's being played: hard / soft, near the bell / near the rim, so it depends what you are trying to achieve.......as always there aren't really any hard and fast rules, only what "works" in a given situation.

cool, cheers lads, gonna just pick a few spots and work from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back