recommend me classical music (1 Viewer)

I never heard anything by Wagner that I liked much. Or Messaien - was at a concert in Trinity a while ago that had some Messaien organ music on the program, and it sounded like a cat jumping around the keyboard. Some people like that, I hear, but I don't

Quartet for the End of Time is the only Messaien I'm familiar with (only got it last week) and it's not as difficult as I had feared.

I never heard anything by Wagner that I liked much. Or Messaien - was at a concert in Trinity a while ago that had some Messaien organ music on the program, and it sounded like a cat jumping around the keyboard. Some people like that, I hear, but I don't

the messaien stuff ive heard (just that one lp) was slow dreamy stuff (though not heavy really, as the poster requested). i saw a review in the wire of a messaien box set with 44 cds or some high number like that, so he probably has all sorts of stuff.

This blog has tons of classical stuff on it.

Some very bizarre pictures of Stravinsky on this post. What's he going to do to that horse, eh??

Barney you will seriously fucking love this

51YNgNEhNfL._SS400_.jpg

I'm just finishing up that The Rest is Noise book - fascinating stuff, but a curse on my credit card as you kind of have to listen as you read.

I've had it lying beside my bed for a year unread, for exactly that reason. I think it's the only time I wish we had spotify in this country.

check out henryk gorecki's symphony no. 3...its probably his most famous work and is cool.

i also second the chopin suggestion (the raindrop prelude, after a deceptively lovely intro 'rocks' out..its a great piece of music)

i also like stuff by john tavener...he's worth a listen

This is the best introduction to classical music I have ever come across:

http://www.kids-tunes.com/my-first-classical-music-book/

Yes, it's aimed at kids. Don't let that put you off. Also the link is to my own website, so the review is all blather about how much my 4-year old daughter likes it . The recommendation still stands though, it really is perfect for anyone who knows nothing at all about classical and the recordings are all top class

Quartet for the End of Time is the only Messaien I'm familiar with (only got it last week) and it's not as difficult as I had feared.

theres a piece on that one called Louange a l'immortalite de Jesus that is incredible, piano and violin. Quartet for the End of Time is a fantastic name for a piece of music too. Apparently it was written and first performed in a prisoner of war camp in 1940. I want to get a copy of this album with a nice sleeve.

anyway, currently listening: La Nativite du Seigneur by Messaien. i love this organ shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back