RARELY SEEN ABOVE GROUND @ Melting Pot Jan 8th (1 Viewer)

Melting Pot

MELTING POT Presents

RARELY SEEN ABOVE GROUND
plus
POCKET PROMISE
and
SOUNDS OF THE REVOLUTION

Tuesday January 8th
Cyprus Avenue
Doors 9pm
7 euro

The Melting Pot monthly series of gigs in Cyprus Avenue, Cork, continue into 2008 with another interesting and eclectic lineup. The 3 acts of the night are Kilkenny's Jeremy Hickey aka Rarely Seen Above Ground,Tyrones Pocket Promise and local Cork rockers Sounds Of The Revolution. This night is is guaranteed to be one of the highlights of a new gigging year and is well worth the door tax of €7!

RSAG

The following is taken from "The Art of Noise" review of the gig at Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, (26 Oct 2007), With Max Tundra.

I guess the precedent of Rarely Seen Above Ground’s stage set-up is those arena shows where Elvis’ old band knock out the cobwebbed chops, while the spectral King phones it in from the big screen. Well, almost, if instead you had the band on screen, and Elvis on the stage, with Elvis singing from behind a drum set, and with a David Byrne kinda cadence. That’d be the precedent. Well, no, you’d also need the band on screen to be decked out not in faded crushed velvet or weary leather, but in fur-lined playground hoods, and in noir-ish yet psychedelic black and white, and you’d have to suspect that all of them were Elvis, filmed from a variety of angles.

Thinking about it now, I’ve painted a bit of a nightmarish vision there, so let’s take the sideburns and jumpsuits out of it, and just place in an unassuming Kilkenny sticksman in t-shirt and jeans. The hoods remain the same. That, you might think is the hook of Rarely Seen Above Ground, a.k.a. Jeremy Hickey, the fact that rather than just sing and crash away to a backing tape, he has a projection of the ‘band’ (as ‘twere) going throughout. Not just a half-arsed four-bodies-in-silhouette black and white image either. Instead, it’s done like a music video, albeit a particularly enigmatic one, with cuts, angles, swoops and production effects.

However, it is ultimately the distraction to the main event, and that is Hickey himself to the left of the screen, with his dexterous, inventive, gleeful drumming, and the strangled soul of his voice. It is a kind of distant, hollow vibrato that appears as though to be coming through the walls from two rooms over, but yet at the same time sharp and arresting.

POCKET PROMISE

Irish Quartet playing their chaotic yet melodic version of events... Together 7 years and now living happily out of a bags and in numerous countries/ settlements... --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- pocket promise have just spent the summer/autumn of 2007 recording and mixing with producer David Odlum, in Black Box Studios in France and in various locations back in Ireland. They are thrilled to finally show some of the fruits of those sessions to you. Some of the tracks will be on rotation on this page for the coming weeks. pocket promise will be releasing an ep entitled 'waving at strangers' during January 2008, more details of this to follow shortly. pocket promise are very excited. come on over and share in the excitement.

SOUNDS OF THE REVOLUTION

Sounds of the Revolution are a three piece band originating from Cork. They play a blend of catchy indie, blues and rock n'roll inspired music. The history of the band began back in 2000 when 4 friends from school started to Jam in a garage under the name 'The Outcasts'. In 2001 a drummer was enlisted after entering the 2fm/shockwaves school bands competition and securing a place in the cork heats. For the first time The Outcasts had a full line up and had only 3 weeks before the heats in the Half Moon theatre to get as much practice in as possible. The band made it to the final and were set to play The Ambassador in Dublin in the final against 9 other up and coming young bands. The Outcasts unfortunately didn't win but the experience and enjoyment gained was priceless. They went on to play gigs around cork and fine tune and develop their songs and style.

www.myspace.com/rarelyseenaboveground
www.myspace.com/pocketpromise
www.myspace.com/soundsoftherevolution

www.myspace.com/meltingpotgigs

I've been invited onto the Green Room on Cork's 96FM this Saturday to talk about Melting Pot gigs and the artists. We'll mostly be talking about next tuesdays gig with RARELY SEEN ABOVE GROUND + POCKET PROMISE + SOUNDS OF THE REVOLUTION.

The Green Room is broadcast every Saturday night at 6pm GMT (live on the net at www.96fm.ie) with a focus on upcoming Irish musical talent. I should be on around 6.40.

Hope you can tune in!

I've got a deadly fecking cough since before Christmas and it won't feckin clear off!

*splutter cough splutter*

Unfortunately Pocket Promise have to cancel due to their bassist falling ill. I'll curse this damn flu yet!

I will post details of a replacement act when I have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back