R.I.P To Da Rawk (2 Viewers)

bombidol said:
Does anyone have a contact for Mero? We need to collect some 20BE money off him.
is it too late to collect money? i gotta get langdon beck money and money for dead letter dept.
hahahaha! You won't get so teary eyed over the loss of the Record Store once you're looking into your empty wallets.
The big bad music industry fucks over wide-eyed and naive musicians once again.

shame its gone!! but i don't get all this great loss to the scene and scenes are built around places like this. it was a record shop that happened to sell punk stuff mostly over priced. its not like we just lost a warzone centre or something. it was a bussiness notthing more as mero always said himself when asked aboutthe high prices.i understand people been saddened memorries of buying
favourite records sell their first zine. i still curse the day comet switched owner some days. and its always a shame when people lose their job unexpctedly.i don't know why mero closed i don't really care.this was a bussiness it was about money not surrporting the scene as some posts give the impession.kids will still get into stuff with or with out the shop any hopefully for cheaper. it is a loss but the "scene "has and i hope never will be bassed around bussiness .

independent shops that carry independent punk/hardcore records DO support the scene. it may not be their aim or inform their decisions about pricing and stock, but the fact that there is a place where people can walk in and look for or ask for something new is important.

otherwise (like here in belfast) the only place people can get stuff is at distros from gigs, which means you have to know about the gigs; or online, which means you have to kinda know what you're aiming for beforehand.

just look how many people here posted about the shop helping to get them into hardcore in the first place..

Another downside,for those who care,is that money that previously would have went to Mero's shop,now will go to Virgin/HMV/Tower. Where would you prefer the money to go? Or I suppose Mero is no better in some peoples eyes? I'm sorry to shatter your illusion,but there is a massive place in hardcore scenes worldwide for small independent record shops. Likewise there is a place for bands such as Green Day and the Offspring etc. we may not agree on how things are done but stepping stones in the direction of our punk rock nirvana's are much needed. I didnt have a big brother to steal punk records from,I found them myself In small record shops.
Let's face it,the younger generation does'nt buy vinyl,so they buy where it's easy. They have much more of a chance of stumbling across something genuine in somewhere like Mero's than in HMV. Murder City is unlikely to appeal to younger clueless punks as they don't sell cd's so where does that leave us?
It would seem that kids will be born with Tragedy T shirts and knowing all the words of stations of the crass? I think not,the loss of an independant punk stocking record shop IS a loss.

byrneos said:
shame its gone!! but i don't get all this great loss to the scene and scenes are built around places like this. it was a record shop that happened to sell punk stuff mostly over priced. its not like we just lost a warzone centre or something. it was a bussiness notthing more as mero always said himself when asked aboutthe high prices.i understand people been saddened memorries of buying
favourite records sell their first zine. i still curse the day comet switched owner some days. and its always a shame when people lose their job unexpctedly.i don't know why mero closed i don't really care.this was a bussiness it was about money not surrporting the scene as some posts give the impession.kids will still get into stuff with or with out the shop any hopefully for cheaper. it is a loss but the "scene "has and i hope never will be bassed around bussiness .
To be fair byrneos you could only accuse Mero of being over priced on the 2nd hand stuff,Mero is not known for his profligacy with the ol'cash but I assure you he was never going to, or trying to ,make a living off DIY releases.The real pity is the manner of closing coz I am convinced that the shop is a goer given a bit of imagination and hard graft,maybe Jamie would disagree as he knows more about the day-to-day running of the joint ?anyway it's always a sad day to see a mom 'n'pop (should that be pop'n'pop!) business close in my book. Old man prunty in Phibsboro never sold his milk cheap but his flagons were cheaper than tesco and always in the fridge and I was sorry to see him close too!

shit news, that's very unfortunate.

i hope jamie and mero are able to sort everything out and aren't left in too much of a hole because of this.

i hugely enjoyed getting records in mero's and browsing around there generally. i appreciate immensely the fact that they were willing to stock our d.i.y. releases without having 'punk' blinkers because it didn't 'sound' right.

mero and jamie have been doing this kind of stuff for years; mero in particular put out the bambi 7" when i was 16 or so, which was very influential in a lot of different ways for me.

hope you both aren't too disheartened.

yes it is sad!i never said it woudn't be a loss.yes shops like this have a use i have no illusions but the record store wasn't as great as some people like to make out the kids coming in weren't always welcomed or pointed in the right direction as you like to make out and the post wasn't ment to be an attack on mero or anybody else wasn't ment to be an attack on mero in anyway.but there is two sides to every story. people will still get into stuff with or without meros.and the new punk records were also over priced some of them could be got for alot cheaper. even the puget sound cd was €5 cheaper in other record shops in dublin even after their cut was added.i just think its getting more credit than it deserves im sure some of you won't agree.but sure thats life.no offence ment if any taken.im not kicking a horse when its down these are all the same things feelings i have shared while it was alive and kicking.

byrneos said:
i never said it woudn't be a loss.yes shops like this have a use i have no illusions but the record store wasn't as great as some people like to make out the kids coming in weren't always welcomed or pointed in the right direction as you like to make out and the post wasn't ment to be an attack on mero or anybody else wasn't ment to be an attack on mero in anyway.but there is two sides to every story. people will still get into stuff with or without meros.and the new punk records were also over priced some of them could be got for alot cheaper. even the puget sound cd was €5 cheaper in other record shops in dublin even after their cut was added.i just think its getting more credit than it deserves im sure some of you won't agree.but sure thats life.

two people have just lost their jobs, a significant part of their livelihoods, and a central element of their lives.

there are good times and bad times for having a controversial opinion.

tom. said:
two people have just lost their jobs, a significant part of their livelihoods, and a central element of their lives.

there are good times and bad times for having a controversial opinion.[/QUOTE

ive already sad it was shit that people lost their jobs. its not about been controveresial !

byrneos said:
yes it is sad!i never said it woudn't be a loss.yes shops like this have a use i have no illusions but the record store wasn't as great as some people like to make out the kids coming in weren't always welcomed or pointed in the right direction as you like to make out and the post wasn't ment to be an attack on mero or anybody else wasn't ment to be an attack on mero in anyway.but there is two sides to every story. people will still get into stuff with or without meros.and the new punk records were also over priced some of them could be got for alot cheaper. even the puget sound cd was €5 cheaper in other record shops in dublin even after their cut was added.i just think its getting more credit than it deserves im sure some of you won't agree.but sure thats life.no offence ment if any taken.im not kicking a horse when its down these are all the same things feelings i have shared while it was alive and kicking.
they are all fair points you make Byrneos but the very fact that it is closing goes some way to justifying the prices charged in a way. Mero is notoriously fickle with money but he obviously never made a fortune out of the place if it has gone under. true there is no need for rose tinted glasses but it will be missed by a lot of people,not just punkers

tommytrousers said:
they are all fair points you make Byrneos but the very fact that it is closing goes some way to justifying the prices charged in a way. Mero is notoriously fickle with money but he obviously never made a fortune out of the place if it has gone under. true there is no need for rose tinted glasses but it will be missed by a lot of people,not just punkers[/QUOTE

one could say the prices he charged could have added to its downfall.and yes it will be missed.

this is an interesting thread, i wish the title wasn't so irritating.

byrneos said:
one could say the prices he charged could have added to its downfall.and yes it will be missed.
brynoes in all fairness thats a pretty pointless and reactionary remark do ya not think. look at the other independent record shops in dublin such as soundcellar or road, most of their new releases are priced at over 20 yo's whereas meros usually ws under that, also in mero's the vinyl was always priced cheaper and anyone who ever ordered in a laod of vinyl knows with shipping that at cost price vinyl usually ends up more expensive than cds. The reality is we live in an expensive city, in expensive times. It was only on the news today that grafton street is like one of the top five most expensive places to rent a business property on in europe or nay the world.

You think that scenes aren't based aorund places like mero's and that the kids will find the music out regardless. well how? we didn't all come into punk rock as part of an influx or a big group of firends like say the kilkenny lads a few years ago, many of us came from places where no-one not even our best friends had a clue about punk rock. If the scene isn't based around places like mero's then what is it based around. I know from tlaking to people who've just got into the scene that it is a far from welcoming place and to be honest brynoes i dont see you at the door of gigs welcoming people in with open fuckin arms. The scene is elitist as fuck but places like mero's give everyone the opportunity to find out what's the latest sounds and the latest zines. Alot of kids coming into the punk rock thing don't have loadsa friends who can give them a copy of the latest TRAGEDY, SKITKIDS )(insert band) record.

Also i dont see why being a 'business' and being punk rock are two things that are totally exlusive to each other. I don't think you are wrong for questioning a place like mero's beacuse in my eyes punk has always been about the questioning but u are making statements without knowing about the ins and outs of running a place like mero's, do you know the cost of rent? do you know the amount of tax paid? do you know how much this stinking country takes off people in customs/excise duties? But no you flick through the cd rack and make ur judgements. I just think it's reactionary and a bad time to make such a statement.

spuded said:
The scene is elitist as fuck
agreed.

but seriously, i dont get why being a business is a bad thing. like jamie said, its fuckin hard to make a living selling punk records. if mero was only in it for cash then why didnt he just sell the latest justin and britney CDs? all he'd have to do is undercut tower by a euro or two and he'd be sorted.

its like plugd down here. an independant store deserves support just for the fact that its an independant store. sure, the prices in plugd are sometimes high, maybe even a couple of quid higher than virgin but i buy stuff there anyway, because i know that jim (the guy who runs it) acutally does give a shite about stocking decent stuff and getting people into good bands.

also, i've never met mero but i know that jamie is a sound lad, and the fact is that a couple of people who tried to strike out on their own terms are now out of a job... which sucks a great deal.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Another downside,for those who care,is that money that previously would have went to Mero's shop,now will go to Virgin/HMV/Tower.

Send em to me!:D (and all the other distro people of course, Phil, Daniel etc...ahem.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back