question for fcp users (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

here, me is using a G5 dual 10.3.9 os
running Final cut pro 4.5
have about 25hours uncompressed dv captured to partitioned drive
scratch folder and render folders pathed to this drive also
Timeline now at over an hour... all grand
thing is
fcp keeps "unexpectedly quitting" after I render an effect either the audio or picture and play immediatly afterwards in the timeline...

very odd and frustrating...
anyone else encounter tis problem? or anyone have any suggestions?
Bongo? Wilbert? I'm looking at you-wiz boy-iz

Ian said:

Sorry, just got in. Are you using uncompressed DV or DV compressed DV?
Cause if it's the former; why? You're probably eating processor time, ram space, and disk space for no real benefit over the compressed codec.

Firstly, check they sequence settings. DV-Pal, 4:3/16:9, 48Khz audio, and all that stuff you already know. Second, is it a partitioned internal drive? cause video tends to work best off a wholly separate drive. In the teaching arena we'll normally use a standard firewire external drive. Drive read and write times can go a bit spongy on ye if you're using the same platter for application and media.

Perhaps you could partition your sequence into a series of smaller sequences, and when you want to view them all, nest them in a master sequence after rendering them/quicktime export. Breaking it up into scenes would probably help make the whole editing task easier.

Another thing that I have often seen in FCP is a strange bug that makes it quit everytime you play to a certain point. This usually happens on sequences with lots of cuts, or a long duration. Try copying the whole lot and pasting it into a new sequence.

Another possibility is that you have a large project, obviously so if you have 25 hours on the drives. FCP tends to be a bit sluggish working with large projects. Try trimming out the stuff you're not going to use - consolidate your media.

There was a recent pro application support update from apple, try that out.

Let me know if any of this makes a difference.

the bongo said:
Sorry, just got in. Are you using uncompressed DV or DV compressed DV?
Cause if it's the former; why? You're probably eating processor time, ram space, and disk space for no real benefit over the compressed codec.

Firstly, check they sequence settings. DV-Pal, 4:3/16:9, 48Khz audio, and all that stuff you already know. Second, is it a partitioned internal drive? cause video tends to work best off a wholly separate drive. In the teaching arena we'll normally use a standard firewire external drive. Drive read and write times can go a bit spongy on ye if you're using the same platter for application and media.

Perhaps you could partition your sequence into a series of smaller sequences, and when you want to view them all, nest them in a master sequence after rendering them/quicktime export. Breaking it up into scenes would probably help make the whole editing task easier.

Another thing that I have often seen in FCP is a strange bug that makes it quit everytime you play to a certain point. This usually happens on sequences with lots of cuts, or a long duration. Try copying the whole lot and pasting it into a new sequence.

Another possibility is that you have a large project, obviously so if you have 25 hours on the drives. FCP tends to be a bit sluggish working with large projects. Try trimming out the stuff you're not going to use - consolidate your media.

There was a recent pro application support update from apple, try that out.

Let me know if any of this makes a difference.

What he said!

To quote yer man in the wheelchair from Little Briton...

Yeahahknow...

tryed all that...

Thing I think it was, was a corrupt file on the same drive from another project... since that project has been deleted (with secure empty trash) things seem to be working swimmingly again...

Ian said:
To quote yer man in the wheelchair from Little Briton...

Yeahahknow...

tryed all that...

Thing I think it was, was a corrupt file on the same drive from another project... since that project has been deleted (with secure empty trash) things seem to be working swimmingly again...

don't forget to defragment too.

Defrag?
not with all that footage mounted? Surely not...

FCP needs a Media Tool like the AVID...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back