Punk & class late 70's/80's (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
Have an essay on "in what ways did popular leisure cultures pose a challenge to European social order from the 1920's to the early 1980's" and want to focus on punk in England in the late 1970's to early 1980's and the threat it posed to class (or didn't) in particular. Anyone got any good articles or books they can reccommend I check out for it? It needs to be fairly well written or somewhat academic or else I can't use it. This is a historical essay, not a political essay by the way so something that's heavy on the marxist or anarchist theory won't be that useful.

Have an essay on "in what ways did popular leisure cultures pose a challenge to European social order from the 1920's to the early 1980's" and want to focus on punk in England in the late 1970's to early 1980's and the threat it posed to class (or didn't) in particular. Anyone got any good articles or books they can reccommend I check out for it? It needs to be fairly well written or somewhat academic or else I can't use it. This is a historical essay, not a political essay by the way so something that's heavy on the marxist or anarchist theory won't be that useful.

I know zines arent really acdemic (even though I like to think they are) but The last issue (issue 4 I think) of the zine Back2Front bases itself around was anarcho punk a threat. and It has different things written up in it as in different punks perspectives also interviews with anarcho bands might be some what useful in terms of ideas.

I like how we can just ask thumped on essay topics without actually doing any research ourselves!ninjaaaa, I LOVE YOU THUMPED!!!

:heart::heart::heart:

p.s. anyone got any info on Marxist film theory, i need a critique of a film based on the theory of marxism.

Cheers

one of ruefrex is a big social science acaemic in ucc- he might have written soemthing - think another one of ruefrex is a journo with the observer?

Nice one, I'll look them up. I'll try pick up that Back2Front zine too, sounds perfect.

And thanks for the links Scientician, all this and the stuff I've researdched already should be enough.

The lad writing for the observer wasnt in ruefrex it seems but was an old belfast punk and writes a fair bit about punk bringing working class youth togethar in non sectarian way in belfast in 78 onwards - might be of use

he's called henry mcdonald and lots of articles on line

eg this one where hes on about punks coming togethar from all across belfast
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,726218,00.html

and this one where in discussing the holylands hassle on paddys day he metions the squat punk thing in holylands from few years ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2009/mar/20/holylands-students

try that book englands deaming, it goes into a lot of the pre pristols history and the philosophy, particularly in relation to a class war tyupe of angle, that jamie reid and mclaren subscribed to in the arly days of the kings road shop and how that attitude led to them seeeing something special in the pistols at the time

also try ian glaspers first book (londons burning I think was the name)

try that book englands deaming, it goes into a lot of the pre pristols history and the philosophy, particularly in relation to a class war tyupe of angle, that jamie reid and mclaren subscribed to in the arly days of the kings road shop and how that attitude led to them seeeing something special in the pistols at the time

also try ian glaspers first book (londons burning I think was the name)

That Englands Dreaming book is one of the main ones I have and it's really good. Bit heavy on the Sex Pistols but it's big enough to cover more than just the history of the band (600+ pages covering only 6 years!).

Thanks all of yis for the suggestions, now to actually get em and start reading!

Punk rock reduced to college fodder.
Now it's all about using overly long words to describe how some people didn't give a
shit, wore wacky clothes and listened to energetic music FOR GRADES!!!

Rename this board to Eirecore - The College Years, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back