Public Sector/Civil Service (1 Viewer)

Also, slap a huge tax on the Gambling sector (not necessarily on the winners, but the providers - Paddy Power etc). Although it may not be legal to target one sector like that.

this is one sector that grew hugely through the boom and probably wont see their profits hurt too much in the downturn. they make readily a product that is adictive and socially harmful as any drug, and suffer no limitations in advertising/promotion etc. Having had a number of friends whove had gambling problems of varying degrees (and types) over the years it fucking sickens me to see ivan yates on discussion panels commenting on the ecconomy etc. If he was head of carrolls or benson and hedges no-one would touch him.

now a passion levy, that could work..

Let's not forget horse racing, tax exiles and those very very rich lads who pay no tax at all.
We can tax our way out of this recession, easy.

are we talking about taxing industries or taxing people?

if you want to tax the banks and property development industries more, you can do that, I think that's what we're talking about
Ah ok, that's what I've been missing. I thought we were talking about higher taxes for bank workers than for nurses etc

Though tbh I think the only really fair tax is income tax - the more you make the more you pay, and capital gains should be subject to the same rates whenever they are cashed in, because then they're income.

I don't know, taxing people makes them spend less, more shops close down, more factorys close down, more people lose jobs...

we're in pretty advanced shit here, I think we're looking more at nationalising all the banks now, firing a lot of people and figuring out who's been acting the prick

if you track back the collapse basically started the week after Berties left office (or something like that), the smart fucker knew exactly where this was heading

Speaking in the Dáil today during the economic debate on measures to stabilise the public finances, Labour leader Eamon Gilmore clashed with the Ceann Comhairle as he called for the legislation on the pensions levy to be published.

"We have a situation where people don’t know how this is going to affect them. We also have a situation where it would now appear that this levy is now going to apply to earnings that themselves are not pensionable. I don’t know whether that is legal. Has the attorney-general an opinion on that?”

“There are almost 400,000 people for whom this is not a pensions levy, this is a special tax which is applied only to public services . . . which wouldn’t end the tax holiday . . . given to tax exiles or the tax exemptions,” Mr Gilmore said.

In response, the Tánaiste, Mary Coughlan, said it was proposed the heads of the legislation would be before the Dáil next Tuesday, with the Bill made available the following Tuesday.

Former Labour leader Pat Rabbitte said the Government’s economic package “neither fair nor balanced”, was biased against those on low pay, and was “riddled with internal inconsistencies”.

“The framework document, and the Taoiseach argued for a system of social partnership that would share the burden . . . the inverse has happened. He has come to the House with an income levy, not a pensions levy.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0205/breaking1.htm

I'm sick of hearing this all the time.

It's more like 75%.

you should get a little 25% patch to put on the back of your
civil service gang vest, just like 1%-er bikers do

2008294951.jpg

would the recession have happened anyway, without bertie and irish banks fucking up?

anyways, i propose "the new bean". we all live on beans for a year, and start a huge bean industry, and the money we would have spent on proper food and drink pays off our national debt. it'd be a grim year, but we'd be back to normal quicker than everyone else.

you know some fucker would just buying up beans like crazy, then sell share's in his bean shop, trade on predicted future profits, sell the risks on to all his pals and then admit he had no beans to begin with so the goverenment would have to give him all our beans to keep him afloat

uh, what...

lads, i think the "poor for fuel" scheme is starting to make economic sense at last, they're free to kidnap, provide much needed cheap energy, and everyone burned drives up our GDP, giving foreign investors more confidence. and the more jobs we lose, the more money the country makes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back