Pronunciation Pricks (2 Viewers)

Uh, so according to tags, this is the most middle class thread?

Oh, okay. Sorry. I'll try to do more to keep this indie music and lifestyle board truer to its blue-collar roots.

My bad.

Not sure whose hole you're talking about though.

Pronouncing words is for nerds and squares, I guess. It's cool not to know how to talk.

Uh, so according to tags, this is the most middle class thread?

Oh, okay. Sorry. I'll try to do more to keep this indie music and lifestyle board truer to its blue-collar roots.

My bad.

Not sure whose hole you're talking about though.

Pronouncing words is for nerds and squares, I guess. It's cool not to know how to talk.

fuck 'em!

proud to be a nerd / square so.

this place is predominately middle class.

I hate when I mispronounce something out of ignorance/by accident and some smug prick corrects me and it completely destroys the point I was trying to make and I get real embarrassed.

yeah.

I hate when I mispronounce something out of ignorance/by accident and some smug prick corrects me and it completely destroys the point I was trying to make and I get real embarrassed.

yeah.
Done that many a time myself.

What grinds my gears (and I'm speaking as an Auslander here), is when Irish people write down something that starts with a T but their spelling isn't up to scratch. So instead of taught they write thaught. Or at a salad bar 'please use the THONGS provided'. :eek:

yeah.

Yeah, actually, I think grammar and pronunciation are both interests that should be kept personal. So, if you want to cultivate perfect grammar, enunciation and pronunciation for your own ends by all means do. But don't ever correct someone else's efforts unless they are being offensive.

Done that many a time myself.

What grinds my gears (and I'm speaking as an Auslander here), is when Irish people write down something that starts with a T but their spelling isn't up to scratch. So instead of taught they write thaught. Or at a salad bar 'please use the THONGS provided'. :eek:

Why Irish people? Surely it is annoying for you if anyone does it?

George Hamilton is a nob.

Goes way overboard on pronunciation.

the classic example was when John Aldridge was with Real Sociedad. Everyone I know pronounced it as it was spelt - kind of phonetically, which was grand. Good aul George though, he insisted on calling it Real Hohieadad, like he was a fucking spaniard or something.

I really really dislike George Hamilton.

Or what about Irish names pronounced by non-Irish people?

For example;

Cahill = Kay-hill

fucksake

But the foreign words thing really fucking gets me. Find a happy medium! It's not that hard. Think of Barcelona. Saying "I'm going to Bar-the-lown-ah" just sounds twattish. But you get the vowel sounds and basic c/g hardness rules right and yer flyin.

see, i'm never sure about this. i keep ending up having to present about stuff in college where i would automatically pronounce french names with a french accent, but i bottle it at the last minute and deliberately mangle them so i don't sound like a tool. but i'm not sure if that makes me more of a tool? also, conversations where barcelona is pronounced like english but then barceloneta is 'bar-the-low-nay-tha' (i give bad phonetics, sorry) in the same sentence?

wish i could remember where i heard it but somewhere recently i came across a story of someone singing 'you say potato' from the score only. "you say toMAYto, i say toMAYto, let's call the whole thing off." :heart:

That happens a lot to me, only not necessarily mispronunciation, mostly with American pronunciations. Or if I use the Irish pronunciation, they leap on that because they wan't to know why I did it that way. It makes me want to ask if the only reason they're listening at all is to find an opportunity to trip me up.

But I generally assume that if I know what someone is talking about, who cares. Unless they've gone full circle and tried too hard to pretentiously put a foreign accent on something, or use pretentious constructions. Then it just grates because it sounds so forced and bad and irritating.

Why Irish people? Surely it is annoying for you if anyone does it?
Its all about the Th pronounced as a T thing.

But hey, I don't lose sleep over it. I'm from Scotland so I suppose we have our whole way of saying things different over there as well, in fact even I have trouble understanding some of my fellow Scots.

Yeah. Why do people do the funny Count Dracula intonation when pronouncing Italian words? Just pronounce it in your own accent.

This happens a lot on that pretentious Arts program, The View, when they unnecessarily replace an English word with a foreign word. It usually goes along with dramatic hand gestures and manic smiling.

It's just... you know...... GESTALT!

pophands.jpg

see, i'm never sure about this. i keep ending up having to present about stuff in college where i would automatically pronounce french names with a french accent, but i bottle it at the last minute and deliberately mangle them so i don't sound like a tool. but i'm not sure if that makes me more of a tool? also, conversations where barcelona is pronounced like english but then barceloneta is 'bar-the-low-nay-tha' (i give bad phonetics, sorry) in the same sentence?

wish i could remember where i heard it but somewhere recently i came across a story of someone singing 'you say potato' from the score only. "you say toMAYto, i say toMAYto, let's call the whole thing off." :heart:

I kinda think it doesn't sound weird if someone is doing what comes natural. Take when someone like Lara Marlowe talks about stuff in France. She'll call Paris Paris, not Paghreee. But if she talks about a French concept, she can get away with it because she's so comfortable with French that she's naturally bilingual and that's how it comes out.

I also think it depends what you're talking about and who your audience is.

If I'm talking about, say, an Italian concept, like I dunno, commedia dell'arte, I would probably say it in a way that marked it out as a foreign word, but because the mouth movements I make when I'm speaking English are different from the ones you'd make when speaking Italian, it wouldn't come out the same way as if I was saying it as part of a sentence in Italian. Does that make sense?

I think that what's irritating is when a pronunciation is obviousy put on for show.

I have the worst trouble with French terms because I haven't a fucking notion of how to pronounce French words. Same with German. I generally would ask a friend what a reasonable way of saying it is, since I jsut need to get the word out so that it's understood, not cultivate a perfect accent.

I kinda think it doesn't sound weird if someone is doing what comes natural. Take when someone like Lara Marlowe talks about stuff in France. She'll call Paris Paris, not Paghreee. But if she talks about a French concept, she can get away with it because she's so comfortable with French that she's naturally bilingual and that's how it comes out.

I also think it depends what you're talking about and who your audience is.

If I'm talking about, say, an Italian concept, like I dunno, commedia dell'arte, I would probably say it in a way that marked it out as a foreign word, but because the mouth movements I make when I'm speaking English are different from the ones you'd make when speaking Italian, it wouldn't come out the same way as if I was saying it as part of a sentence in Italian. Does that make sense?

I think that what's irritating is when a pronunciation is obviousy put on for show.

perfect sense. i think i kind of do the same. lara marlowe/paris (i bet she says 'paree' if it becomes paris-st-germain or something, which works) clarifies it nicely.

it's the idea of feigning ignorance that pisses me off. i guess i love languages and information and get excited about both, and it pisses me the hell off when someone pretends not to know something i know they know, just for show (rhyme, oh no!).

at the same time i'll admit to being a pretentious asshole, with crimes such as having corrected someone mispronouncing someone's name recently, followed by "sorry, that was obnoxious", derailing conversation completely. it's the ugly side of the same excitement and wanting to share it (information, hooray!), which is not a way to win friends or influence people, for more than about 5%. i hate snobbery more than anything but i bet i look guilty of it here.

edit: i say 'ar-ther-itis' and a few other family relics, so i get mine, too.

yeah it's annoying

so is this:

people using the same word twice in a row.

i.e.

'My car is at home'

'Your car is in Finglas?'

'No, no. My car is at home home'

Finglas = where the person rents

Home home = parents' house [where the person grew up]
What about going out, and going out out? It's an important distinction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back