Pronunciation Pricks (1 Viewer)

that piss has been filtered through the salt rocks of the michigan basin i'll have you know! she doesn't just piss in the pot.

Actual conversation with taxi driver in New Orleans:

- So, where are you from?
- Dublin, in Ireland.
- Where? Arlen?
- Ireland, Eye-err-land, you know it?
- Never heard of it. Is that in England?
- No, but it's a small island to the west of the UK... at the far edge of Europe? Where Irish people come from?
- Oh, OK. No, I'm not familiar with it. Do you use dollars there?
- No, our currency's the Euro. A lot of European countries use it.
- Euro? Is that like the pound? Or more like a dollar?
- [long, bemused explanation]
- And do you guys have roads in Arlen?

Or if he's just scored a screamer from outside the box.

Correct!
Can you imagine if Marco Tardelli gee-ed up the team by recreating his 1982 World Cup final goal celebration in the dressing room before every game - you'd feel invincible.

I dunno why I feel a responsibity to pronounce names as they should be, but I do, even though I don't expect foreign types to be able to pronounce my name... and despite it only having three letters, they've struggled...

Correct!
Can you imagine if Marco Tardelli gee-ed up the team by recreating his 1982 World Cup final goal celebration in the dressing room before every game - you'd feel invincible.

I dunno why I feel a responsibity to pronounce names as they should be, but I do, even though I don't expect foreign types to be able to pronounce my name... and despite it only having three letters, they've struggled...

I've found more that Irish people can't pronounce my (our) name. They can't manage the diphthong and say "eeen" instead.

I've found more that Irish people can't pronounce my (our) name. They can't manage the diphthong and say "eeen" instead.

Too true. We have it rough....
That said, Brazilians came out with "Yam" and this French Canadian woman wasn't even able to start the word, she just looked freaked out.

You lads should see what happens when you complicate it further by putting a C in front of it. Moose however, everybody gets.

Actual conversation with taxi driver in New Orleans:

- So, where are you from?
- Dublin, in Ireland.
- Where? Arlen?
- Ireland, Eye-err-land, you know it?
- Never heard of it. Is that in England?
- No, but it's a small island to the west of the UK... at the far edge of Europe? Where Irish people come from?
- Oh, OK. No, I'm not familiar with it. Do you use dollars there?
- No, our currency's the Euro. A lot of European countries use it.
- Euro? Is that like the pound? Or more like a dollar?
- [long, bemused explanation]
- And do you guys have roads in Arlen?

The first part of this happened to me also, though I didn't stick around to finish the second part of this conversation.

I was walking in New York up through Harlem and these guys were sitting out on the step in classic fashion and asked us two honkies "where we were from boy?"

"Ireland"

"Harlem? You ain't from Harlem!"

"Eh...."

In fairness, when we Irishers say 'Ireland' it does sound like 'Uhrlind' a lot of the time. An entirely different product to the vowel blanket of the American pronunciation.
The confusion is almost inevitable.

In fairness, when we Irishers say 'Ireland' it does sound like 'Uhrlind' a lot of the time. An entirely different product to the vowel blanket of the American pronunciation.
The confusion is almost inevitable.

You have to learn to tell Americans that you're from "Eye-er-land". I have to confess when I was in the States I gave in and started talking about wadder and budder instead of watttther and butttther as well. They don't get that middle-class Irish soft T at all, they think it's an "sh" sound.
"Busher? What's busher?!"

Say with weary sigh "I'm a citizen of the world"

eliminating the need for further explanation, as they'll think you're a cunt and stop talking to you

I find wearing one of these t-shirts every time I leave the country works a treat.

PL-90276A-md.jpg

Best way of avoiding confusion is just to say that you're Irish. Or Ugandan, if you're from Uganda.

I once went for a flat in New York and the Russian landlady, who'd been in America for 20-odd years, looked at me blankly when I said I was Irish. She seriously had no idea what I was talking about. Where did she think all the New York cops were from?! And what the feck did she think was going on every March 17th????

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back