Presents you bought for your parents as a kid (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
I remember the first present I ever bought my Dad was a peach - I didn't get much pocket money in the early seventies.

On more than one occasion, I bought my Mam knitting needles and a ball of wool for her birthday.

They always let on to be delighted..

we were visiting relatives in Canada when I was a kid. My sister and I planned to buy our mother something over there for christmas. Christmas eve and nothing bought.

Thhey mad a big deal of opening presents over there, everyone gathered aroud to wathe each other open their presents and you were allowed open one thing on christmas eve.

I desperation me and the sis robbed a box of chocolates (stupidly we robbed the one our ma had given our aunt as a present!) rewrapped it and stuck a card on it.

Plan didn't work.

"hey those are my chocolates!!"

"I've never been so disappointed" etc

I was always told in no uncertain terms what to get my mother for christmas. By the time I was of present buying age she'd had twenty odd years of getting shite presents from my brothers.

She gave me a load of grief one year because she wanted these Aran Island pictures and as I didn't see them in the shop I got her some pictures of Dublin instead. We had a big row and I left home with the dog and stayed with my brother. She rang a few days later to ask when I was bringing the dog home. Not one for apologising, my Mother. :D

we were visiting relatives in Canada when I was a kid. My sister and I planned to buy our mother something over there for christmas. Christmas eve and nothing bought.

Thhey mad a big deal of opening presents over there, everyone gathered aroud to wathe each other open their presents and you were allowed open one thing on christmas eve.

I desperation me and the sis robbed a box of chocolates (stupidly we robbed the one our ma had given our aunt as a present!) rewrapped it and stuck a card on it.

Plan didn't work.

"hey those are my chocolates!!"

"I've never been so disappointed" etc

Ah yes, re-gifting

My Mam was always re-gifting. Especially boxes of chocolates to the next door neighbours -if they called around at Christmas with a tin of biscuts or something

We didn't do Christmas or birthdays. I remember buying my Dad a set of strings for his guitar when I was about 7 or 8 (but I suspect that was because I had broken one and wanted to give him replacements before he found out)

When I was a wee 'un I gave my dad some aftershave for christmas.

He has had a huge beard since he was about 19 years old and has never come close to shaving it.
Ah,bless , sure 'twas the telly ads that told me that you gave yer da aftershave - I just didn't put two and two together i suppose.

I bought my Dad a reflective triangle once.
ReflectiveTriangle.jpg

When my brother was about 5 he was real excited about the Christmas present he had bought our ma - he kept going on about what a great present it was, and how she didn't have one already. Turned out to be a black plastic comb that he had got for around 20p

At the age of 5 I robbed all the ornaments out of my elderly neighbours sitting room, put them in a plastic quinsworth bag and brought them home for my mum. I remember being genuinely upset that she didn't seem to appreciate how thoughtful I'd been.

My first big important spend was buying a copy of The Thorn Birds book for my mum who was in hospital.
I remember it cost a fortune and having to reach over the vast amount of sweets at the counter to pay for the thing was torture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back