Predicament - when do you release your album? (1 Viewer)

São Paulo Punk

Website
myspace.com
Oh, wise people of Thumped, impart your wisdom upon me...

So, with the amazing help and support of some friends, I'm coming towards the end of recording my first 'solo' album on a budget of practically zero euros and the donation of many hours and days for recording, arranging and playing etc by some truly great people.

Once the album is complete I'll most likely be back in college for another year writing a thesis and being a full-time parent at the same time. Therefore, I'll have little time to devote to touring and promoting the album upon its release.

I'm guessing that the sensible thing to do would be to hold off until next summer to release it then.

BUT... there's a BIG part of me that just wants to put the album out sooner rather than later. I was considering releasing it in December before Christmas as I think the music is more suited to that late-night, sitting in and getting cosy time of year. Either that or putting it out in January and being all "fresh new album to start the year off", while people are still on the wintery, fireside listening buzz.

It seems like every time I go out to a gig or party I end up talking to people about this without coming away with any solid conclusions, so I'd love to hear peoples opinions on this subject if they have the time.

Thanks,

Owensie

jazes,thats a tricky question.

I am of the firm opinion that you should put it out sooner rather than later.Sitting on it will only drive you nuts.
I am also of the opinion that you shouldnt bother with cd's until you're touring it.I think in this day and age they are an unnecessary expense for a debut lp.
I would suggest putting together a nice download package(tunes,artwork,phots,vids) on bandcamp or even better get someone to make you up a website-Owensie HQ if you will..
Make a few videos for youtube( I can help there)...EVERYBODY watches youtube
I would charge €7 for it.Although I wouldnt hope for making much dough from it.

But most importantly GET IT OUT THERE.

all going well,you may have the beginnings of a fanbase by the time you're ready to tour.

Edit...Red Tape has a point too...but I reckon if you can get a few decent reviews promoting it should be easier.

Jeepers, first post here for me tho I signed up ages ago..

Agree on both counts, having time to put the promo in is important but also the longer you have it sitting around, the more annoyed you'll get. I always find February is a really good month to release, there isn't much going on but a good reception early in the year can set you up nicely with gigs and opportunities for the months ahead.

Release it when you have the time and money. But wait, like everyone else you'll never really have either. Simple answer make the time to release it. If you set a date and stick steadfast to that date you'll manage somehow to do it if you wait for the date to set itself for you it probably will never happen. My advise is that the longer you leave it the more holes you'll pick in your work and this will kill your confidence. Release it on hallowe'en. (in fibbers ha ha.)

If it was done on zero budget and goodwill then You're in nobody's pocket. By next summer you'll have no doubt moved on creatively so there's a case to be made for concentrating your efforts on promotion and web presence rather than shelling out for CD stock that may never sell.

2000 people (and counting) downloaded the free Yurt album we released last December ( Xmas is a good time of year to do this - time off work = spending a lot of it on computers looking at crap ). It's just a case of googling for any blog, web zine, forum etc... where you think your music may be relevant. I found that people were very forthcoming with constructive feedback and enthusiasm. Don't be phased by the trolls who hate you for making an effort to do something ( they're rife!! ).

Ultimately, whether you give away a free download, charge for one or press physical format is a personal decision.... In the case of the Sonic Elders Of YURT, free was the right decision.

Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it!

I'm definitely re-thinking on pressing CDs, this being a debut n'all. I guess that by dropping that cost I could re-direct that money (college grant) into the album artwork, website and promotion end of things and do the online thing in as classy a way as possible.

My personal circumstances mean that I'll never really be able to plan a time to promote an album and do big tours or anything like that. Not till I'm in my mid to late 40's at the earliest, so I guess that gives me around 15 years to build up a solid fan base, so no rush on that one.

BUT, I am definitely gagging to release this thing. As people have pointed out, the seeds of negativity can all too easily creep in when you sit on something for too long. It's gonna have to be December or January cause my thesis is due in at the end of February.

Thanks again for the feedback, lots of food for thought now.

My personal circumstances mean that I'll never really be able to plan a time to promote an album and do big tours or anything like that. Not till I'm in my mid to late 40's at the earliest, so I guess that gives me around 15 years to build up a solid fan base, so no rush on that one.

Ooh, just re-read that there. What I meant to say was that I wont be able to do BIG tours for a long time still, but of course, I can tour in the summer months once I get college out of the way, just not for large chunks of time, and Ireland doesn't really require that scale of tour anyway. Wouldn't mind getting out of Ireland again at some stage though. It's been a while...

Having slept on this now I've decided I'm gonna put this sucker out in January, shortly after the new year and book a few gigs for that month. The CD budget is gonna go into the artwork, website and promo end of things instead.

If I can do that much with everything else going on in life I'll be delighted with myself!

Yep definitely sounds like the right thing to do, good luck with it all.

Can't wait to hear it.

Yo,Owensie,I have a lad to do yer website gratis...was just talking to him

he most certainly does!I'll send you his contact on facefuck and take it from there!

Its horses for courses really.
If you were going down the physical release route and using the services of a pr company Id personally advise not to go to close to christmas.
Seeing as its now coming towards the end of August then maybe Feb/March would have been a good time if your were going this route.
Even though 40-50% of all album sales (or some ridiculous figure like that) are made in the four months leading up to christmas all the labels/bigger acts are pushing hard at this time of year so it can be very hard to get your voice heard above the crowd.

Lots of good advice on here re: the DIY + free download route and as its something I know nothing about I'll jump out of the debate here as that seems to be the way your leaning.
I would say though that Id be inclined to go sooner rather than later!
As people have said on here if you sit on it till next summer you'll go nuts and most likely have picked that many holes in it that by the time you actually release the album you wont be happy with the product your putting out.

Anyway whatever route you choose enjoy the journey. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back