Post pictures of yer kit. (1 Viewer)

Your floor tom is 60's. your kick and rack are 70's. whats up with that? do you you know the history of your kit? its nice indeed. Lovely snare. Original yellow vistalite snare is the rarest of rare ludwigs.
We use a mic in the kick for practices too because our rehearsal room is totally dead.

Floor tom is 1966. Rack and kick is 1974. They were all bought seperatley from ebay over a two year period. I bought the kick drum shell on its own, then bought the lugs, hoops spurs etc seperatley and put it together. Re-wrapped the whole thing in blue sparkle. I couldnt afford a whole kit as cost would be huge and so would shipping.

Floor tom is 1966. Rack and kick is 1974. They were all bought seperatley from ebay over a two year period. I bought the kick drum shell on its own, then bought the lugs, hoops spurs etc seperatley and put it together. Re-wrapped the whole thing in blue sparkle. I couldnt afford a whole kit as cost would be huge and so would shipping.
cool! whats it like suspending the 16" floor? say it sound like a muthafucka!

rawk. you know the biggest cause of cymbal breaking is having them too high...

I was'nt aware of this at all. I got 4 years out of the last pair and i hit 'em to break 'em (last year of those cymbals life i was using 3a's, back to 5b's now so they should last a lot longer) I like them high though, they just dont feel right any lower.

cool! whats it like suspending the 16" floor? say it sound like a muthafucka!

Sounds deadly. Engineers always comment on the floor tom and snare sound. Ive had them on legs but it didnt sound as good. Ive had the rack tom on a snare stand too but it completely killed the drum. It made a big "wowm" sound. It was like the tension on the bottom of the head was putting the drum out of round. Anyone else experienced this?

kudos for using a mic in the kick for rehearsals. tis the only way.

Its only there for recording purposes. We have kick, and two overheads for the drums, 57's on the two guitar rigs and the xlr out of the sansamp pedal for the bass all going in to the mixer and out into a podcast interface which goes into the laptop (ableton live). Our rehersal room is the top half of a warehouse so as you can imagine, everything is
really REALLY LOUD!

Floor tom looks the same as mine. I fear the hanging of floor tom but maybe should give it a go. When we were supporting some folk recently they were using a Yamaha Oak Custom kit. Anyone had a go of those? I thought they sounded lovely, without some of the weird depth that modern kits I've tried seem to have. Good to play too.
Some crowd in London have a shell set for £1000 that I would buy had I not £0.

This is pure ingulgence.

Picture.jpg

The K custom is great.
Oneida posters are for motivation. It's a premier APK with some ancient shallow Premier Snare. Came in a case that said Rathfarnham Concert Band. Sounds pretty alright all together.

I have a 1972 red Pearl Fibre Glass Kit, in need of restoration but sounds amazing, all original hardware. Some day when I have time and money I'll fix it up. I also have a Pearl Forum piece o crap for touring, no point in buying a complicated expensive kit to have another four or five drummers take out their aggression on it each night. Alright hardware though. If it goe's bang or boom I'm happy.

standard 1990s pearl forum kit with classic pinstripe 'make any kit sound good' skins.

snare - pearl free floating copper shell 14 x 5.5
hi hats - 14" HHX groove hats
crash 1 - 18" signature saturation crash
crash 2 - byzance 18" medium polished
ride 1 - AAX stage 20"
ride 2 - 21" AA metal x

MongoliaRecording003.jpg

MongoliaRecording016.jpg
IMG%5D

Nice. Re-wrap makes it look span new. Thinking of sending mine in for an emerald green sparkle re-wrap with irish custom drums in dundalk.

Did you post this kit home or did the store arrange shipping for you? Im heading to nyc in october. Any bargains? Black beauty snares?

Only the 12" tom is a re-wrap. The rest of the kit is original and to the naked eye looks slightly faded (I think they call it ginger ale-ing). I got them idividually on ebay over a four month period, shipped direct to me.

Check out Main Drag Music in Williamsburg, Brooklyn for a few nice vintage bits and pieces. BUT, expect to pay top dollar. There was an imaculate vistalite 5 piece there from the 70's going for $2000 back in March. Some nice 402's etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back