Porterhouse Belgian Beer Festival (1 Viewer)

Popped in last night. On draught they had

Tripel Karmelite
St Bernadus Wit
St Bernardus Abt
Fluri (or something)
Newton
Something Kriek

Started with St Bernardus Wit. Your enjoyment of this will depend on whether you like Hoegaarden. It's the same type of beer, Belgian Wheat beer, or Wit. I like Hoegaarden and preferred this. Refreshing, fruity, spicy and lovely.

Next was a glass of St Bernardus Abt. This is big, strong (10%), dark and really tasty. I had it from a bottle a few years back and remember being disappointed. Really enjoyed it last night. If you like beers like Chimay blue, you'll probably prefer this.

Tripel Karmelite was next. Out of a bottle, it's one of my favourites of its style. Pale, strong (about 8% I think) and spicy/perfumey. Seems to have a surprisingly delicate mouth feel. Anyway, was slightly disappointed by it yesterday, but my pallette probably wasn't the best after the St Bernardus Abt. My mates thought it was lovely.

I had a sip from someone's Newton at the festival 2 years ago. It's basically a Belgian wheat beer with added apple syrup. Gimmicky.

The same could be said Fluri (or whatever it's called). Replace apples with strawberries and there you are. Didn't bother with last night.

I asked the barman about the Kriek to see if it's worth trying. Kriek means cherry and some cherry beers are incredible (Cantillon for instance). Going by the barman's description, this beer is just some cheap generic beer with cherry syrup thrown on top. It's beer for people who like their alcohol diluted with sugar to mask the flavour. For birds basically.

And there we are. Three very worthwhile beers on draught and something to give your girlfriend.

Was diggin' the Tripel Karmelite & St Bernardus Abt. Oh and the bottles of La Chouffe (cant resist). St Bernardus Wit was underwhelming i thought.

Died of a hangover on Friday.

Was diggin' the Tripel Karmelite & St Bernardus Abt. Oh and the bottles of La Chouffe (cant resist). St Bernardus Wit was underwhelming i thought.

Died of a hangover on Friday.
I was fond of the wit, but it's a style I quite like but I think is rarely done well.

The stronger ones were deadly but a little eh...strong.

I was fond of the wit, but it's a style I quite like but I think is rarely done well.

See i tasted a mates wit (ooooh matron!) after a few of the stronger styles and it lacked that smack in the face quality, for me.

Will give it another go this week.

See i tasted a mates wit (ooooh matron!) after a few of the stronger styles and it lacked that smack in the face quality, for me.

Will give it another go this week.
It's a beer to start the night with definitely. Your pallette would be cunted after those 8-10% fuckers.

Also, I don't find wits very moreish, one's usually enough. Perfect excuse to move onto the hard stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back