Platini - impassioned speech (1 Viewer)

Moods For Mallards

You know what? I like this guy. Whatever about the arguments for or against salary caps, etc., he definitely has the interests of the game as a whole at heart.
And he wasn't a bad player.
I'm glad that he holds high office in UEFA.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/18/michel-platini-uefa-european-parliament

Yon Guardian said:
Michel Platini has today delivered an impassioned, 90-minute speech to the European parliament calling for sport to be granted exemptions from competition law. The Uefa president's address was an effort to head off challenges to its attempts at capping the salaries and expenditure of clubs.
Making specific reference to the financial excesses of Manchester City, who made "astronomical bids" for Kaka, Thierry Henry, John Terry and others during the January transfer window. Platini sought to prepare the ground for Uefa rules "establishing financial fair play".
"During this year's festive season, one club which had suddenly become very rich made various astronomical bids in the transfer market," said Platini. "Of course, there was a tremendous outcry in the football family, people called it outrageous and scandalous.
"Is it morally acceptable to offer such sums of money for a single player? We are currently looking at the idea of limiting, to a certain degree, a club's expenditure on staff – salary and transfer fees combined – to an as yet undecided percentage of its direct and indirect sporting revenue."
That kind of financial engineering is sure to be resisted by right-wing MEPs who are wedded to free-market principles. But, after previous attempts at securing exemptions from European law for sport, Platini senses that in the current climate there is more appetite for reform.
He believes that the unique "solidarity" between the elite clubs at the top down to the grassroots game at the bottom of the football pyramid – with all the social functions that performs – justifies sport being treated differently from other businesses.
"Professional football is no more a financial service than it is an agricultural activity," he said. "It is just as absurd to want to regulate football through the automatic application of competition law as it would be to do so through the Common Agricultural Policy.
"We must not delude ourselves, for even huge clubs like Manchester United or Real Madrid are financial dwarves compared with Microsoft or Exxon. The turnover of most European first division clubs is smaller than that of their city's largest supermarket.
"We now know that none of this is true: that in football as in the economy in general, the market is incapable of correcting its own excesses, and it was not the Uefa president who said so, it was Barack Obama."
Equally weighty in Platini's speech were references to Uefa's desire to outlaw transfers of players under the age of 18. Drawing on a clause in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child he attested that European laws on the free movement of workers — through which such transfers are made possible — have become an anachronism.
"The European commission talks of free movement of workers from the age of 16," said Platini. "This might have seemed reasonable in the 1950s, but is that still the case today for most skilled jobs, at a time when many European countries have raised the school-leaving age to 18?
"I have therefore thought about this problem a great deal and I am now convinced that the international transfer – yes international – of players under 18 should be prohibited, fully in accordance with the Fifa statutes. Some people talk about the free movement of workers. I am talking about the protection of children."

his comments about under 18 transfers are bang on in my opinion. Too many small clubs are robbed of their promising players at ages such as 14 and 15.
It would be good news for the LOI as well as players would have a better chance of playing a year or 2 in the LOI before going to England without destroying them at the age of 16 in some soccer academies.
Most Irish "stars" have never played in their own domestic league!

"We now know that none of this is true: that in football as in the economy in general, the market is incapable of correcting its own excesses, and it was not the Uefa president who said so, it was Barack Obama."

I wouldn't have thought Obama'd be concerned with the market forces of association football.

He may be right about the clamping down on moving young lads, but the salary cap would only be to the benefit of established big clubs with an existing revenue stream.

He may be right about the clamping down on moving young lads, but the salary cap would only be to the benefit of established big clubs with an existing revenue stream.

You reckon? For one, the salary cap would only be an issue at all at the top end of the game, i.e. the established big clubs. Now, within this, a salary cap might mean that, for example, Ashely Young couldn't increase his wage all that much by moving from Villa to United, so Villa might be more likely to keep hold of their best players. So United's existing revenue streams might not enable them to pluck the best players from teams slightly below them.

The proposal is to limit the amount of a club's turnover can be spent on transfers & wages combined, not on any one particuar player. I doubt the likes of United would be backing this if they thought it would increase competition. Chelsea on the other hand have a much higher wage / turnover ratio and would be hit hard, particularly as their squad's age profile isn't the healthiest for the long term.

Also, it wouldn't be workable to have a cap of a discrete amount to cover every club, what with currency flucuations and all.

The proposal is to limit the amount of a club's turnover can be spent on transfers & wages combined, not on any one particuar player.

like the League of Ireland treid to do?
they wanted all wages to be 50-60% of club revenue or some figure like that. few listened...

But if the club can only spend a particular percentage of turnover on transfers and wages, it follows that they may not be in a position throw money at players to sit on the bench or in the reserves rather than being the stars at smaller clubs. No? So my Ashley Young example still holds.

the way i look at it is - like you said (moods) clubs cant load their squads with players they would like to have on the books and they can't just buy up all the good players in the league cus they players wage must fit under a cap.

this means the players will have to be spread out of more teams. Ashley young can move to united if he wants, but United will have to move someone on more than likely to accommodate his wage. in the past this has not happened as clubs do not want to part with talented individuals.

having a wage cap would also mean it didnt matter how rich a club was, they gave to adhere to the rules. there would be none of this "your as rich as your owner" stuff as he has bottomless pits of money.

the example of the league of irealnd is probably a bad one - as LOI football is about survival, premier league football isnt in my opinion cus of the size of teams fanbases. this isn't the case with lower league teams

i dont think i addressed your point at all......

Depends on the club. The likes of United, Liverpool shouldn't be affected significantly, as their wage / turnover ratios aren't that high compared to the likes of Chelsea. Arsenal I'm not sure about, but they're probably ok. Bayern are pushing this too, they have been trying to get something like this in for ages, not unrelated to Hoffenheim being as high as they are in the Bundesliga.

What a salary / transfer cap would do at least is to ensure clubs have their houses in order and you'd have less clubs overspending their way into trouble.

They should just make sure the team has to be mostly represented by players from the country it's in, and also has to play 3 or 4 players from it's youth acadamy as well.
Then Celtic would have a shot at the Champions League.

his comments about under 18 transfers are bang on in my opinion. Too many small clubs are robbed of their promising players at ages such as 14 and 15.
It would be good news for the LOI as well as players would have a better chance of playing a year or 2 in the LOI before going to England without destroying them at the age of 16 in some soccer academies.
Most Irish "stars" have never played in their own domestic league!
yeah, like cascarino and aldridge...etc etc. i could go on.

They should just make sure the team has to be mostly represented by players from the country it's in, and also has to play 3 or 4 players from it's youth acadamy as well.
Then Celtic would have a shot at the Champions League.
yeah, cos shaun moloney and mark burchill are just that good.

yeah, like cascarino and aldridge...etc etc. i could go on.

they were in a completely different era of Irish Football. It was a time when anyone could have played for Ireland.
In the last 10 years or so Irish underage teams have performed very well in Euro and World competitions under Brian Kerr primarily. These teams were made up of Irish grown talent.

I just think it would be good for some of these players to play a few years, 17-19 for example in the LOI, before moving abroad. I have seen friends go across when they were 15 and get chewed up by the academies and spat back to Ireland, with no idea what to do as they have been put off football for life.

they were in a completely different era of Irish Football. It was a time when anyone could have played for Ireland.
In the last 10 years or so Irish underage teams have performed very well in Euro and World competitions under Brian Kerr primarily. These teams were made up of Irish grown talent.

I just think it would be good for some of these players to play a few years, 17-19 for example in the LOI, before moving abroad. I have seen friends go across when they were 15 and get chewed up by the academies and spat back to Ireland, with no idea what to do as they have been put off football for life.
you don't know what it's liek man, you haven't seen your friends head exploded by a footballing academy. YOU WEREN'T THERE MAN!

sure i was only joshing, no need for your life story. just ask yourself, what would aldo do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back