Pilates in Dublin City Centre (1 Viewer)

FiFi_LaRue

I've just found out I've a pretty serious back injury, which rules me out of doing any proper sport for a few months. I've been told by my physio to take up pilates.

I can't seem to find any classes which are just starting up, or who'll take on new members a week, or two into their sessions.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does a pay, as you go pilates class, or of a class that's starting up in the next while?

Cheers!

Try Melt in Temple Bar - I think they do pilates classes!

In short, Pilates centres on strengthening/working on your core muscles (in your stomach, pelvic area) which support your back and the rest of your body...you engage these muscles in a specific way and do various movements while doing this that strengthen your body.
Better explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates

Go easy on yourself tho and tell your instructor you have an injury - things won't get better overnight but it could really benefit you.

Oh yeah I've done pilates before when I had a knee injury, found it great.

I'm not aiming for any advanced classes or anything and would rather they know I've a dodgy back than thinking I'm being lazy about dong the exercises :)

buy one of those massive yoga / exercise ball things, and a yoga mat.

Put the ball on the mat, kneel down facing the ball, and roll forwards over the ball until you are stable, then lift your hands.

When you weight is all on your stomach and knees, lift your head and pull your back upwards so you are looking at the ceiling, and then gently relax so as you are rolled back onto the ball looking at the floor again. To start off you might need to put your feet against a wall to stop you moving about.

You need to do this every day, really slowly and gently. After about a week say, you can start doing the same thing on the ball only the other way around, do it as sit ups, ie facing up.
Your stomach is really important for your back. Then you can start adding more things into your routine.

The key is learning how to do it slowly and properly, (which a class is good for) and then doing it every day which a class is less good for.

edit, this amazing picture shows you what you need to do.
back_bfree-13.png

abdo_bfree-54.png

Is Pilates good for posture?
I slouch a lot and being a little top heavy makes it much worse, I'm starting to get seriously worried I'll end up as a hunchback.

Heh cheers flashback. I've actually been told specifically not to do any stretching/leaning backwards so the first one is a no-go.

Riath, I found it great for posture, it really does stabilise all the muscles which help with posture. I was awful for slouching, but found it helped.

One more thing, those excercises must be done slowly. Slow count to 5 on the way up, hold for another slow 5, and then 5 back down, and then 10 curled on the ball.

Every movement should be about control and balance and stretching, rather than strength.
Stretch your back right out when you are curled on the ball, open each of the vertebrae, try and feel them open, and then the oposite on the way up, try and pull each vertebra together from the bottom all the way up in order.

Pilates is good for posture.

I think though that people need to do these things daily for real effects, and the cost of classes is prohibitive for most people.

edit, oh right.
Well, I dunno what your condition is. All the same, you need to concentrate on doing things slowly and controlled, focusing on the individual bones in your back.
Its a pity, because that first one was one of the most effective back treatments I've ever done.

really really good. as is Iyengar Yoga.I've been doing it for the last 2 years and feel taller and straighter than ever!
I'll give it a shot then, for the past week there's been a kink in my back that I just cant stretch out, probably got it from sitting up all night but it's driving me crazy.

I'll give it a shot then, for the past week there's been a kink in my back that I just cant stretch out, probably got it from sitting up all night but it's driving me crazy.

it's great for stretching out the back, shoulders, neck and legs. It will hurt but it's worth it. I go here and it's quite small and cosy. You have to start off in the foundation class, I did a few months with Teresa in the Monday class and can't recommend her strongly enough, she is deadly.Also they do a yoga class for kids too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back