photography wankers (1 Viewer)

edit: snthr's answer was better

I dunno. I like the modesty of your reply and it's pretty abstract too. Im calling it a tie.

superman-tie.jpg

she's returned!!!! check out what she said in response.

no amount of :)'s will endear her to me, anyway. i still think she's a ballbag.

I think it's gas that 5 thumpedsters have it down as a fave. Maybe yer wan will cop on though. Poor Inga. She was only trying to help.

She does have a point though. It is a photo group and I do think she was trying to be helpful. But that's the problem with that sort of thing. Unless you actually know the person, it can be hard to take criticism. And when you're used to giving it, you don't realise how shite it can sound. Also, it's probably gotten to a stage with poor Inga that she HAS to say something - anything - which results in the odd banality. And she seems to not want to get involved in a minor flame war, which is laudable.

But fuck it, she started it.

I didn't think she was that bad Nooly, her 2nd reply was too grovelling though, 4000 pics she's taken and she is only happy with 5!
I don't use flickr so not sure what way c n c is used or if yours was even up for c n c, although being in a group is like asking for c and c?
Forums I use on boards are fairly harsh at times, the 1st set of Cricket photos I put up when I was new to photography were slaughtered by one particular guy, but that just drove me on and I prefer people to be 100% straight with me as in RL.
As to the actual picture maybe a little story or what it meant to you might have made your woman understood more what you were either trying to get across or you just liked it as a special moment/snapshot.
My own view on the pic is that as a work of art on the carvings of the pumpkins I have to say they are excellent, espeially the spider one, if the picture was intended to be arty (which we know now it wasn't) it prob was as the woman described it....

This is not a drunken rambling post btw. :D

/edit
Love the little pig photograph, didn't know you were one of those people that study stones/volcamic type stuff, donno the word for it. :eek:

group description said:
This group is open to all members of UEA PhotoSoc, as a way of sharing photos and discussing everything, anything, and/or nothing photography-related!

Right now, members are restricted to uploading one photo per week. This might change in the future, but for now we thought it was a good way of encouraging you to be selective in displaying only those photos you consider to be very good, or those you're particularly interested in receiving feedback on...

One of the main purposes of the group is to foster constructive criticism: please comment on other people's photos (see the constructive criticism discussion thread for some thoughts on how best to do this), as well as add as much information about your photos as possible (where & why they were taken, what you were trying to capture, as well as more technical aspects such as how you metered the shot), since this will be helpful for others when commenting on your shots.
Eh, what did you expect to happen when you submitted a photo to a university's group which is specifically for encouraging people to leave university type c+c? I mean, if you added it to some random "post your best shots" group, fair enough, but this is a group for arty folks who sit in a class room every day critiquing each other's photographs. In fairness, she didn't have to comment, she was just trying to be helpful.

For the record, i think her comment was wank, the very reason i've battled with the idea of formally studying photography for the last few years.

"Shall we make peace and come to a social next week instead of arguing here? :)"
nooly, if i know women, and i think i do, that means she wants to ride you

Girl on girl action? what will J-Mak think?

yer wan is up her own hole, fair enough, but the thumped massive getting stuck in just seems a bit childish. any 'artistic' endevour attracts know-it-alls and bullshit artists.

Unfortuantely the technical aspect of photography seems to provide ample scope for them, as it possible to be incredibly pedantic technique wise till the cows come home while still producing dull images.

My early introduction to this carry on was going to the dublin camera club. a greater gang of condesending pedants you could never hope to meet.

i joined the university of east anglia photosoc group on flickr, but man, they're a bunch of pompous assholes. when i checked out the group before joining the first thing that struck me was how enragingly patronising they are to each other. you get some chump waxing pedantic about how somebody else should have taken a picture and then check out their photostream and all their photos are shit.
this girl left a really annoying comment on one of my photos, in fairness some of her pictures are awesome...but what a load of wank to write. i'm also very fond of the sound of my own cleverness, but i try to keep it somewhat in check.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11681350@N04/2989674436/

If you think that's bad, don't ever go to school for it. Hell after four years of people being pretentious whack jobs, you'll never want to pick up a camera again.

yer wan is up her own hole, fair enough, but the thumped massive getting stuck in just seems a bit childish. any 'artistic' endevour attracts know-it-alls and bullshit artists.

actually - as far as the comments on flickr go, it's not like there was a mob involved. the only people from thumped who actually commented were myself and scientician (and my comment was a very clear tongue in cheek attempt to make her see how ridiculous her comment had sounded!). yer wan is up her own hole (i have never come across a comment on a photo like it before) - so agreeing with it here hardly seems childish, but maybe that's just me.

yer wan is up her own hole (i have never come across a comment on a photo like it before) -

Really? I see buckets of this stuff on sites like photo.net and others. It can be annoying all right .... but if you submit your pictures for criticism you just have to put up with stuff like that ....

JohnnyRaz: I have a question for you ... it's kindof off-topic. I was looking at your street photos just now. You exhibited these, right? There are quite a few people in them that are recognisable. I dunno if your pictures were for sale or not, but assuming they were, did you have to get model release forms signed?

My understanding is that if you take a picture of someone in which they are recognisable then if you want to use the photo for commercial purposes then you need the subject's permission. Maybe one-off prints in exhibitions don't count as commercial purposes though .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back