photography wankers (1 Viewer)

nooleen

bad ape
Solutions
i joined the university of east anglia photosoc group on flickr, but man, they're a bunch of pompous assholes. when i checked out the group before joining the first thing that struck me was how enragingly patronising they are to each other. you get some chump waxing pedantic about how somebody else should have taken a picture and then check out their photostream and all their photos are shit.
this girl left a really annoying comment on one of my photos, in fairness some of her pictures are awesome...but what a load of wank to write. i'm also very fond of the sound of my own cleverness, but i try to keep it somewhat in check.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11681350@N04/2989674436/

Hmm...that photo...might I suggest...(I'm joking!).

The problem with flickr and photo groups of all sorts, is wankers. When people start getting into criticising your photos because they're not how they would have taken them, that's fine. Let them go and take their own photos and have someone wax lyrical about how good it is.

I can understand, when you join a group, that you might be looking for constructive criticism. And if you are, that's fine, go with the flow. And take the advice on board. But some people just like talking shite. It's the whole, "those who can do," thing.

In fairness to yer wan's comment, it wasn't that bad. Obviously, I get what you were doing with your picture, but she doesn't. But she was just trying to help. Especially with regards the noise thing (It's not that bad anyway - my pics are full of noise half the time).

I take pictures for me. And sometimes for friends. And when I make them public on flickr, it's usually because I want people to see them (usually friends, or people who I regularly take photos with) or for me to have easy access to them when I'm not at home. I don't actually care if anyone else looks at them or not.

I usually leave all the technical details of photos up, so my photographer friends can either learn from them, learn from my mistakes, or else tell me what I did wrong.

Personally, I never criticise anyone's photos. I will say what I like, and usually just don't comment if a photo doesn't affect me either way. I know RSJ tried to put up a thread wherein we take a photo we weren't happy with so others could say how they might have taken it, but no one was really interested. But that was different and had a purpose. I might try resurrecting that thread, cos I've lots of really shite photos.

Anyway, J-mak marked your photo as a fave. That counts for something (even though it's yer mate). ;)

I like your response to yer wan. Well said.

BTW, if you want to get rid of noise, get a copy of Nik's D-Fine, or Neat Image. I rarely use them myself. Noise can be grand. Works for your pumpkin pic.

cheers, hey and you know, if you want to mark that photo as a fave, just to spit in yer one's eye, that would be nice. just sayin'.

PS i know the quality is shit, it was the wank about 'what are you trying to say with this photo' that yanked my chain. it's clearly just a photo of something cool i wanted to document, i mean...jaysis. what kind of statement could you make with a picture of amateur pumpkin carving?

Here's one of mine I actually like, even though it's noisy and blurred (alcohol was consumed...lets of it).

Man With A Suitcase on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But someone posted a comment yesterday which I thought was nice, though a bit artsy. Still, fair play to him.

That's what flickr should be about if you're going to bother commenting. People should leave the piss-taking for the likes of thumped.

when i checked out the group before joining the first thing that struck me was how enragingly patronising they are to each other.

your reply to the comments said:
I just want to take pictures. i don't feel the need to justify my photos.

I don't understand. Why did you join the group in the first place?

i've been looking through the offender's pictures and while there are some admittedly lovely shots there, there are some that reek of banality, their composition and saturation are nothing special. and that, my friends, makes her comment even more infuriating.

cool-dog-outfit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back