Photo Challenge: Bokeh OR Shallow DOF shots (1 Viewer)

Thing is, I think both are good. I think it's all about the image. Put another way, bad bokeh won't ruin a good shot. Just worry about the depth of field to control how much you want in focus. That's what makes an image.
what he said; you only want shallow DOF if it serves the shot. don't use it just for its own sake.

you should choose a large aperture/small aperture value - the smaller the aperture number, the larger the aperture (the value is the ratio of the length of the lens to the width of the aperture - e.g. an 80mm lens at f4 means the aperture opens to 20mm).

usually you would choose aperture in aperture priority or manual mode, and select the largest aperture available.

That's what used to confuse me years ago. Large = small. Which is why I try to shy away from saying that when telling people in fear it confuses them. I prefer sticking to how much in-focus/out-of-focus and what f number does which.

ok good tips, good tips.

what i've noticed about some bokeh shots is that they work better when there are lights on in the background....?

310307055.jpg

Some quick (personal) Rules of Thumbs:

Face Portraits: About f2.8 or f4. Will give you a blurred background, focusing the eye on the subject of the portrait.

Full body portraits: Whatever you like, preferably f8 or f11 and higher.

Buildings/Landscapes: f16, preferably higher. Gives most of the image in focus/sharp.

As I said, when doing this in a rush, it's what I use, but not all the time. And others will have completely different ways of doing things.

a shallow DOF is best used when you don't want a distracting background; often, if there's too much DOF, the subject can get lost in the clutter.
which is why judicious use of DOF is useful for portraits, but the tradeoff is that you have to be careful with your point of focus, it's harder to get the eyes in focus with a shallow DOF.

all these phtos are cool!!!

it's mega frustrating not being able to do anything like that on my point and shoot. im very keen to tinker around with this slr now.

all these phtos are cool!!!

it's mega frustrating not being able to do anything like that on my point and shoot. im very keen to tinker around with this slr now.

Does your point and shoot have a manual mode? Or aperture priority? I know you can't use manual focusing, but you don't have to. Just whack the aperture down to it's lowest setting and get close to the subject. A lot of them don't have low apertures, but you can get good results with f3.5 etc.

I didn't mean to tell anyone wrong I was just posting my understanding, a term I only heard of a month or two ago. Anyways here's my shallow depth of field for starters. I'll get some more at some point:

1809871869_8fce75f19f.jpg

Does your point and shoot have a manual mode? Or aperture priority? I know you can't use manual focusing, but you don't have to. Just whack the aperture down to it's lowest setting and get close to the subject. A lot of them don't have low apertures, but you can get good results with f3.5 etc.

i'm not quite sure i have those settings but i have been having more of a look at my camera. some of the terminology on the settings are different to what i'd be used to but i think i have come across aperture settings i never knew were there!

i've ordered myself an f1.4 lens for my DSLR, cos it wasn't getting nearly enough use with just the kit lenses. i have several fast lenses for my 35mm gear, so i'm happy there.

I reckon you'd fall asleep for a hundred years if you ate one of those bad boys. Most likely your dwarf mates would think you had kicked the bucket. Consequently, they'd lob your body into a glass coffin a fuck the coffin into a castle in the woods.

Many years later a handsome prince would probably get the hots for you, bribe the dwarves for the coffin so he could necro-sexy you. But there's a good chance he'd accidentally bang the coffin off the door frame on the way out. That would wake you up. So you'd be grand again.

Case closed.

Court adjourned.

QED

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back