period pains, whats the story... (4 Viewers)

mazzyianne

Website
Visit site
Anyone got any cures?
herbal or the like.
I hate taking pain killers but today was fuckin unbelieveable, felt like I was going to puke.
Some months it's totally grand and then suddenly bam, just when I have a thesis proposal, a presentation and two tutorials to prepare for...:(
fuck sake.

I've heard ginger is good but it doesn't work for me.

Lefty Frizzell said:
perv.

back in the day double droppin some feminex used to do the trick, are they still popular?
yeah, they were fucking da dope man.

i hear a bout of the ould pregnancy will take care of that.

Lefty Frizzell said:
perv.

back in the day double droppin some feminex used to do the trick, are they still popular?

drug pusher and ball licker of the pharmaceutical industry.

evening primrose oil is meant to be good for 'womanly troubles'.. I think you're sposed to take it consistently rather than only when you're actually in pain. i've never really got bad period pains but i've seen them completely knock people out, to the point where the usual nicenesses of cup of tea/hot water bottle/bill bailey video* aren't going to do much good.

*seriously, having a good laugh/relaxing/taking your mind off things, it's good.

a hot water bottle helps. But nothing works as good as 2 neurofen plus and a backrub AND a hot water bottle.

mazzyianne said:
Anyone got any cures?
herbal or the like.
I hate taking pain killers but today was fuckin unbelieveable, felt like I was going to puke.
Some months it's totally grand and then suddenly bam, just when I have a thesis proposal, a presentation and two tutorials to prepare for...:(
fuck sake.

from whatreallyworks.co.uk:

[FONT=verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Females who suffer from cramping have been shown to produce greater levels of prostaglandins - the hormones secreted by the uterine lining - and this can be exacerbated by a diet that is rich in saturated fats from meat and dairy products, so try to cut down on these.
Evening primrose oil is rich in Gamma-Linoleic Acid (GLA) an anti-inflammatory prostaglandin that can counter the inflammatory hormones causing pain. You need to take the equivalent of 250mg of GLA a day for at least three months and monitor the relief. Period pains will also be made worse by any underlying digestive disorder, especially constipation, so a high fibre diet and a good quality probiotic will help too.
Underlying blood-sugar imbalances are exacerbated by pre-menstrual tension and so one of the best PMS supplements now available includes the trace mineral chromium, which works to redress this. Nutrition Now’s PMS Support also includes vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) to alleviate nausea and muscle cramping, and three of the most effective hormone-balancing herbs for women: agnus castus, dong quai, and black cohosh. It is only available in the UK from Victoria Health, on 0800-413596.
If you are looking for organic tampons and sanitary ware, contact Bodywise (01275-371764) which produces the Natracare range. Certified GM-free, it is 100% organic cotton and, unlike better known ranges, contains no chemicals, binding ingredients, surfactants, additives, or synthetic materials such as rayon.
[/FONT]

edit: and:

[FONT=verdana,Helvetica,Arial]The word drug comes from the German word droge meaning ‘to dry’, as in drying herbs. It is estimated that up to half of all prescription drugs come either directly from plants or are a chemical imitation of the active medicinal ingredient found naturally in plants. This means that the idea of relying on a herb to take away the pain is not as silly as it might first sound. Herbs can be just as potent as prescription medicines, which is why (of course) they work.

For general pain relief I use an Indian herb called boswellia, which is every bit as powerful as Ibuprofen or other over-the-counter painkillers. Produced from the gum of the Boswellia serrata tree, the key active ingredient is Boswellic acid. This is a powerful anti-inflammatory and vascular-supporting herb that can help relieve headaches, for example, by opening up the blood vessels that are constricting and causing the pain.
[/FONT]

kirstie said:
a hot water bottle helps. But nothing works as good as 2 neurofen plus and a backrub AND a hot water bottle.

seconded. anything with ibuprofen or heat or both should do the trick. god bless neurofen plus.

mazzyianne said:
Anyone got any cures?
herbal or the like.
fuck sake.

raspberry leaf or sage tea and herbal pills are supposed to work well. I've got my texas chainsaw massacres at the moment and I get bad water retention, but i find herbal tea, curling up in a ball and being really selfish makes me feel better.

oh and I am going to use my mooncup for the first time ever! wahhazahhhzzzahha

trianglegrrrl said:
raspberry leaf or sage tea and herbal pills are supposed to work well. I've got my texas chainsaw massacres at the moment and I get bad water retention, but i find herbal tea, curling up in a ball and being really selfish makes me feel better.

oh and I am going to use my mooncup for the first time ever! wahhazahhhzzzahha
OMG! Letus know how the mooncup goes. Have been considering other options - but chickened out so far - don't really want to talk about it here cos the boys will get upset... but apparently - makes excellent fertiliser for your plants...

I used raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy - meant to be a general womb-strengthener... Marianne - I dunno but i'd imagine that it's that sortof long term lifestyle altering things that u undertake wud have the most influence on how your periods are - maybe some of the stuff that super-dexta mentioned - evening primrose and the like. I'd also add exercise - possibly "womb-specific" yoga stuff. I can talk to u about it maybe. I'm not sure what herbal pain relief is effective. I know that asprin, ibuprofin etc are all NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) that all work in the same way. The pharma people just fiddle around with the structure of them and bring out another one - conjecturing but never really knowing how they work! The first one was salycilic(sp?) acid and was isolated from willow bark - so maybe there's some willow bark type thing in health food stored? Might be a good place to ask.
In general, in my experience, not a lot helps period pain that's in full swing - even ponstin (again - sp? -that really strong prescribed painkiller everyone was always popping in my secondary school)... generally u gotta catch it early whatever you are using.
Also - i never take this stuff either but i wouldn't beat yourself up for using drugs when u gotta get something important done.
The best best best is the back rubs and hot water bottles though :)
Hope u feel better soon.

ibuprofin.

Reminds me , did any one hear about Advil colds and flu being removed from the market?

I dunno if its true or not, did wonders for my tonge when I got it periced.
Nearly fainted in dunnes in enniscorthy once with the pain, theres some corner shops bigger than the dunnes in enniscorthy so it was like getting stabbed in a box.

Yeah, use advil.

the B vitamins, principally vitamin B6 along with vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B12, can be very helpful. magnesium can also be very helpful, especially for cramps. anti-inflamatories (such as ibuprofin) can be also helpful, but be sure not to take them on an empty stomach. as mentioned before, evening primrose oil can also help. hope this can be of some use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back