PERE UBU (1 Viewer)

whelanslive

GET TICKETS HERE: http://thevillagevenue.com/tickets/

Whelanslive.com presents...

PERE UBU

VENUE - THE VILLAGE
DATE - 14th NOVEMBER
Pere Ubu is an experimental rock music group formed in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1975. Despite many long-term band members, singer David Thomas is the only constant. The group is named after Père Ubu ("father Ubu"), the protagonist of Ubu Roi ("Ubu, the King"), a play by French writer Alfred Jarry.

While Pere Ubu have never been widely popular—usually categorized as "underground rock"—they have a devoted following and are an influential and critically acclaimed band. They have been described as "the most original and important of the new wave bands." Pere Ubu have compiled a list of guidelines for touring, live performances and the like: "Lighting should be theatrical rather than rockist. We are interested in atmosphere, mood, drama, energy, subtlety, imagination—not rock cliché." The Danish Broadcasting Corporation is one of the few organizations they trust to record live performances, "solely on the basis of the King of Denmark's defense of the Jews in WWII".

To define their music, Pere Ubu coined the term avant-garage to reflect interest in both experimental avant-garde music (especially Musique concrète) and raw, direct blues-influenced garage rock. Thomas has stated the term is "a joke invented to have something to give journalists when they yelp for a neat sound bite or pigeonhole".

Whelanslive.com presents...

PERE UBU

Pere Ubu is an experimental rock music group formed in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1975. Despite many long-term band members, singer David Thomas is the only constant. The group is named after Père Ubu ("father Ubu"), the protagonist of Ubu Roi ("Ubu, the King"), a play by French writer Alfred Jarry.

While Pere Ubu have never been widely popular—usually categorized as "underground rock"—they have a devoted following and are an influential and critically acclaimed band. They have been described as "the most original and important of the new wave bands." Pere Ubu have compiled a list of guidelines for touring, live performances and the like: "Lighting should be theatrical rather than rockist. We are interested in atmosphere, mood, drama, energy, subtlety, imagination—not rock cliché." The Danish Broadcasting Corporation is one of the few organizations they trust to record live performances, "solely on the basis of the King of Denmark's defense of the Jews in WWII".

To define their music, Pere Ubu coined the term avant-garage to reflect interest in both experimental avant-garde music (especially Musique concrète) and raw, direct blues-influenced garage rock. Thomas has stated the term is "a joke invented to have something to give journalists when they yelp for a neat sound bite or pigeonhole".

I'm only familiar with the first two,but love them. Kinda want to see them but could be very disappointed as I've not really heard anything else by them.

Being broke settles it though.

Worlds in Collision is the only album of theirs I've heard - how representative is it? All I remember about it now is the shite cover

I can't say. Haven't heard it.

But, the first three albums (like the first three Wire albums) are generally regarded as some of the best rock, post-punk or not, albums ever made. And there's an album of early singles which is more direct and less artsy, but still pretty artsy. It has that song Final Solution which is like the ultimate anthem for beleaguerment.

I'd say give The Modern Dance a whirl and if you like that, progress.

I remember buying the CD when Mayo Thompson joined and I was shocked and disgusted by it's twee naffness and lack of angularity. But I think I might like it now. I think I had no palette for Thompson or the Red Krayola at the time. Now I think they're fab.

Anyway, I'm psyched for this. Killer band. Only 18eu - steal!

They still play this one anyway, according to setlist.fm. Which I'd probably pay €18 to hear. Don't know much else. As an aside, anyone remember late Britpop prog-rock band Ultrasound? Their singer completely stole his style from Dave Thomas. Not that I'm giving out or anything.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They still play this one anyway, according to setlist.fm. Which I'd probably pay €18 to hear. Don't know much else. As an aside, anyone remember late Britpop prog-rock band Ultrasound? Their singer completely stole his style from Dave Thomas. Not that I'm giving out or anything.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Knowing that they still play that would put me off going to see them. If they only played the first singles/album then I'd be tempted but even the other 70s albums do little for me. Last album I bought was Cloudland which I got for a euro in a charity shop which put me off buying any of their records ever again. Plus David Thomas sounds like he's voiced by Jim Henson.

There will be tickets on the door.

Really looking forward to it now.

1395300_656843644355957_1478117709_n.jpg

Loads of people giving out about this show. Varying reports calling it, at best, boring or worse still uncomfortable. Any weight to all of this?

I thought it was great. I'm not really familiar with them so I had no expectations dashed by it, but I kinda felt it was going down well enough with the crowd. It was a bit short maybe.

Loads of people giving out about this show. Varying reports calling it, at best, boring or worse still uncomfortable. Any weight to all of this?

Personally I thought it was fab. A hoot, caged yet free. It met my expectations head on - which was to see Pere Ubu interpret their own back catalogue/play new material as they saw fit, combined with Thomas' charismatic form of curmudgeonly raillery - the latter being worth the price of the gig alone.

The sound was deadly. For 18eu, it was a steal. Also, I've never seen such a rabid merch table after a gig.

And I agree with Shaney, that the crowd, which was probably full of Thomas devotees were totally in thrall. Didn't sense any discomfort personally, although I brought a friend along who didn't get anything out of it because all he wanted to hear was faithful renditions of early material, which would go completely against the remit of such a contrary band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back