PEATS of Parnell Street..RIP (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 115
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 3
I'm in the bad books with the guy in the local videogame/pc repair/ink cartridge shop.I went in last week looking for a HDMI cable for Electricgaryland,anyway his wife was there and she had a chihahua...man I love them dogs..although this one bit me..but its a chihahau so what are you gonna do...well,sure I asked her had she a cable..yeah..theres one there...a Tenner.I was brassic park and informed her TRUTHFULLY how I had seen one elsewhere for a fiver..not in this town a couple of towns over..and I woulda went there but I'd no petrol.Well,I patted the dog and said sure,I'll come in tomoorrow when I get paid.That night I ordered one off ebay(a shit one it has to be said,but fully funtional)for €1.99,with free next day delivery.
Well,Tuesday rolled around and the postman was nowhere to be seen,and as I was waiting for this cable to finish my studio set up,I popped into the local shop the get that one.
WELL,you shoulda HEARD the tone of yerman,he asked me,"Did you not get the one for a fiver then that you were telling the wife about?"
I was about to tell him to stick it up his hole,but I didnt want to make an enemy of him.He seems a bit hard.And I needed the cable.

Long story short.His shop is basically a microcosmic representation of Petes and this tale is a micro representation of the whole high street/online retail scenario in general.

Grumpy shopkeepers unable to compete shall go to the wall.Meanwhile,witness the resurgence of our fine and NATIONAL postal service.Everyones a winner.

didn't Emma Ledden used to work there?

not mentioned in her LinkedIn page though: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/emma-ledden/25/994/974

I thought that was how she got spotted. She used to appear on the Den every once in a while showing off gadgets, with her peats t-shirt on her.

Wow, she's taken the presentation consultancy route http://www.presentingtosell.com/what-we-do.aspx Which is funny, cos I always thought she was the most wooden presenter. She still is, have a gander at that video.

It's telling that in the Game and Peat's threads the first bunch of posts were about how shit they were. And mainly on a personal level rather than on price.

It's telling that in the Game and Peat's threads the first bunch of posts were about how shit they were. And mainly on a personal level rather than on price.

Yeah,but what does it tell?

I was in Peat's a few times recently and I thought it was over-priced, even in comparasion to the likes of Power City or whatever. Their stock wasn't great either and it was mostly behind glass.

I think there will be a role for physical, as opposed to online, shops as people like to actually use a demo model of what they're buying before they buy it. Web content isn't a good enough substitute (e.g. when buying a keyboard where the weight of the keys is a consideration or the sound samples etc). I suppose the trick is turning footfall into sales. I was thinking that you could have a shop which only demonstrates different products and doesn't actually sell anything, but makes it's money by giving a discount code to shoppers, which when used online triggers a payment to the shop. Big set-up costs though.

That's amazing about wholesale prices being more expensive than online retail prices. Cruel world.

When online prices are cheaper than wholesale doesn't one just buy online and then stock it in your shop with a mark up? I know that's not exactly the point being made.

this thread has taken a very serious, informative and well argued turn. well done thumped.

I thought it was going to be full of reminiscences about the old upstairs electronic components section and the strange men in anoraks who used to hang about therin. 12 years later I find myself complaining about the apparent absense of minature push on-on DPDT switchs in maplins....

When online prices are cheaper than wholesale doesn't one just buy online and then stock it in your shop with a mark up?
you could run into all sorts of fun with warranties and issues as to whether this actually constitutes selling secondhand goods, i suspect.

When online prices are cheaper than wholesale doesn't one just buy online and then stock it in your shop with a mark up? I know that's not exactly the point being made.
I have done this but can't get stuff on credit, plus can't return stock. If our operation were bigger I could probably find a better wholesaler online though.

this thread has taken a very serious, informative and well argued turn. well done thumped.

I thought it was going to be full of reminiscences about the old upstairs electronic components section and the strange men in anoraks who used to hang about therin. 12 years later I find myself complaining about the apparent absense of minature push on-on DPDT switchs in maplins....

For these memories alone I'm glad Peats existed. I remember going in with my dad and being in there for what felt like fucking hours while he indugled his middle-aged inner-nerd. I loved it though.

As an aside I usually have a decent stock of 3PDT foot switches and the on-on DPDTs if you're after any. Better quality and prices than Maplins too.

I have done this but can't get stuff on credit, plus can't return stock. If our operation were bigger I could probably find a better wholesaler online though.

Makes sense all right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back