PC VS MAC the result is in (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 56
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 4
I am thinking of getting a new computer--PC or Mac, I have no loyalty or allegiance to either

Currently I have a PC (Windows XP) that is about 7 years old and isn't what it used to be.

Advise me, PC or Mac? I mainly use it for drawing and design work and want to try sound recording.

for sound either build a pc for sound or buy a mac. the variables in parts in pc's will dictate its performance, the macs are more or less hardwired to work well with sound/rendering sound.

I'd assume its similar for graphics.

PC will be cheaper and upgradeable. you could possibly Frankenstein the one you have for a small amount of money.

Thanks. I remember a friend tried to install a sound card on mine and there was no room for it which makes me wonder if it is upgradable

I reinstalled Windows on it a while back and made a bit of a hames of it. I'm tempted to just start all over.

I suppose they're much the same for what you're talking about. So you'll be looking at other things when deciding. For both drawings and musicing a large screen makes life easy. The 27" imacs are fucking huge. I'm not ready for the new ones yet though because they've only gone and gotten rid of firewire and an optical drive. You might be able to connect your current monitor to a mac mini, they're decent. I dunno.

I am thinking of getting a new computer--PC or Mac, I have no loyalty or allegiance to either

Currently I have a PC (Windows XP) that is about 7 years old and isn't what it used to be.

Advise me, PC or Mac? I mainly use it for drawing and design work and want to try sound recording.

I think creative types find the mac better.

I find the problem with most mac related issues these days is the user.

True. I've found that the people I know who complain most about apple stuff are the ones who have little respect for looking after their shit. "I'm on my second MacBook charger, apple are crap!" No, you're just really bad at taking care of your stuff.

For laptops, you really can't beat a MacBook (even if you decide to install Windows/Unix on it).

True. I've found that the people I know who complain most about apple stuff are the ones who have little respect for looking after their shit. "I'm on my second MacBook charger, apple are crap!" No, you're just really bad at taking care of your stuff.

This is amazing. Thank you.

On the other side of the coin with the 'mac owners' thing, its not unreasonable to buy stuff and expect it to work and stand up to real life. we cant be tiptoeing round devices all the time.

I like Apple and have mainly switched over to it but FUCK MAKING ALL THE PRODUCTS OUT OF THE SLIPPIEST MATERIAL KNOWN TO MAN!!! "Oh I think I'll leave my phone/ipod/laptop on this flat surface for a moment... Oh it's after sliding onto the floor. Fuck you Steve Jobs." Seriously, Teflon coating these things would be an improvement.

I like Apple and have mainly switched over to it but FUCK MAKING ALL THE PRODUCTS OUT OF THE SLIPPIEST MATERIAL KNOWN TO MAN!!! "Oh I think I'll leave my phone/ipod/laptop on this flat surface for a moment... Oh it's after sliding onto the floor. Fuck you Steve Jobs." Seriously, Teflon coating these things would be an improvement.

The Jobs design philosophy is that function should follow form.
Apple don't give a fuck about how their hardware behaves in an environment, only how it looks.
Too slippy? Fuck you, it looks cool.

The Jobs design philosophy is that function should follow form.
Apple don't give a fuck about how their hardware behaves in an environment, only how it looks.
Too slippy? Fuck you, it looks cool.

Hm. That seems like an unlikely statement. Do you have a reference? Or are you someone who defines themselves by their technology?

The person who defines themselves by their technology faces the problem that when other people criticise that technology - or even express a preference for different technology - it feels like they are also criticising the person. The person feels compelled to defend themselves, but is inevitably forced to do so by concocting absurd arguments about the technology's moral superiority over the other technology. But technology has no morals, and society has evolved other means of resolving differences in normative debates while allowing different opinions to proliferate (e.g. the legal system). As such, the endless oppositional debate of apple vs pc is destined to never be resolved, because there is no possible forum in which it could ever be finally resolved, and there is no prospect of such a forum being developed because society has no need for it.

I think this phenomenon applies to both sides of the apple/pc debate, but equally to other meaningless rivalries. In many contexts the wider meaninglessness of the rivalry is acknowledged, and the participants then engage ironically in the debate (most obvious example is football supporters, with hooligans and ultras providing the exception).

Anyway, to conclude, don't be a computer hooligan. Catch yourself on.

It was referring to what you attributed to Apple. People don't give references for things they say themselves.

I respect your ability to spell words and punctuate sentences, but I'm having difficulty with extracting meaning or coherence from it and also with you telling me how I should be.

Hm. That seems like an unlikely statement. Do you have a reference? Or are you someone who defines themselves by their technology?

The person who defines themselves by their technology faces the problem that when other people criticise that technology - or even express a preference for different technology - it feels like they are also criticising the person. The person feels compelled to defend themselves, but is inevitably forced to do so by concocting absurd arguments about the technology's moral superiority over the other technology. But technology has no morals, and society has evolved other means of resolving differences in normative debates while allowing different opinions to proliferate (e.g. the legal system). As such, the endless oppositional debate of apple vs pc is destined to never be resolved, because there is no possible forum in which it could ever be finally resolved, and there is no prospect of such a forum being developed because society has no need for it.

I think this phenomenon applies to both sides of the apple/pc debate, but equally to other meaningless rivalries. In many contexts the wider meaninglessness of the rivalry is acknowledged, and the participants then engage ironically in the debate (most obvious example is football supporters, with hooligans and ultras providing the exception).

Anyway, to conclude, don't be a computer hooligan. Catch yourself on.
You have to understand that @7 - No tomorrow is an authority on everything, be it technology, kitchen hygiene or what makes one rapper good and another not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back