PC shutting down randomly (1 Viewer)

Ferox13

Ok my GF has a PC running XP with a intel 2.66hz cpu and 2 gig ram..

The last few days the CPU fan has been pretty noisy and yesterday the PC just started to shut down without warning.

My first quess was it was over heating and the cpu fan wasn't doing its job.

So i took out the CPU fan/heat sink and cleaned a shit load of dust out of it. I reseated it and started it up. The fan is still kinda noisy (the bearings are going?) but its spinning fine etc..I did notice there was little or no thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu.

Now it was starting up ok for a while and then when I was using it , it just shut down. Down it shuts down after reboot..

Any ideas?

Thanks....

Check yer event logs for anything suspicious. Could be a thermal event with overheating or the HD might be packing it in - that said, it's not a good sign if there's not much thermal paste betwixt the heat sink and cpu.

How do i check event logs?

I'll have a look in Peats/Maplins today for new fan and paste..

to get to the event logs - right click my computer > manage > event logs > system log

look for any red flagged events, they may tell you something.
the system bios might record thermal shutdowns, but getting in there depends on the way the bios is configured.

could be your power supply. I've had a similar problem for a while. was dying randomly then not boot at all, they die during boot. a few whacks to the power supply kinda sorted it. Now it only dies if i leave it running torrents for a couple of hours.

Ok Event log looka clear..

WHere in the bios should I look - i found where u set the cut off temp already.....

I'm getting a spare PS from an old PC later and if its compatatable I'll try that..

looking for a free cpu temperature monitor that logs to see if there is rising heat problems..

cheers..

I had a similar problem with my Thinkpad.

I downloaded the latest Power Management s/w which manages my laptop power (ThinkVanatge Power Manaer) and this massively improved things for me (although it has happened once since then).

not sure if you have something like this is installed, but if you do try upgrading it...if you don't have power manager s/w try installing one as it may better manage the system drivers.

I've been trapped in Spain - so i didn't get back to it yet (and its on a queue) - GF is buying new Fan/paste so going to try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back