Pay to Play - your opinions please (4 Viewers)

Psychotic no 2

I'm doing something on the topic of pay to play and would really appreaciate your opinions and knowledge on this.

Does anyone know when this phenomenon became omnipresent, or even just acceptable?

Is there a viable alternative for venues (or are they just being greedy?)?

Your feelings on it...and anything you care to add.

Speedy?

e*

I'm fairly new to this kind of thing, the oul' timers here would be a fountain of knowledge on this subject. Especially The Dudley Coorporation as they've done more gigs than Jesus. Anyways, I think it a real kick in the face for really young bands who can't afford noodles. I mean like, Dublin, some real kips here, and you gotta pay for de gigs some places 400 yoy yos. The cheapest I've heard of is 200 yo yos, and thats the Voodoo lounge, which is crap and huge, with shit selection of de booze. And a bad reputation, and a bit of a walk up de oul' quays. Anyone know of a reasonably priced venue. That sounds good, looks ok, central?

There are no good cheap and central venues in Dublin, if you want quality (E.G. Whelans) you pay for it!

However sometimes it's just a lack of initiative, I mean, the average venue's owner doesn't give a shit of what sort of music you play or of how good/popular you are, especially if you get a mid week night. They only care of the number of people you'll take there.

I saw *awful* bands playing at Whelans for instance. If you put together a gig with three bands and charge 5 euros at the door you can easily recover the 2/300 fee.

if you're doing an article, it might be worth trying to track down some of the those who've played the aidan walsh gigs (try the phantom fm board) which seem a huge rip off, especially since most bands who play them are in their teens and, presumably, short on cash. Then again, maybe they're actually fun or profitable for the bands...

http://www.aidanwalsh.com/gigs/?display=23

What you think about the principle of the thing though; should bands have to pay for the privilege of playing in a pub that does live music every night?

And does anyone know when the trend started? It wasn't always this way.

Originally posted by figs
if you're doing an article, it might be worth trying to track down some of the those who've played the aidan walsh gigs (try the phantom fm board) which seem a huge rip off, especially since most bands who play them are in their teens and, presumably, short on cash. Then again, maybe they're actually fun or profitable for the bands...

True. That's one of the biggest rip-off EVER, together with the Garage Gigs at Eamon Doran's and Isaac Butt

The take advantage of new/young bands who aren't able to put a gig together: usually they ask a €200 fee to enter the gig, charge 5 to 10 Euros at the door and give your money back if you bring at least 30 people
Aidan Walsh, promises a "Free Gig" if you bring at least 50 !bog

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
What you think about the principle of the thing though; should bands have to pay for the privilege of playing in a pub that does live music every night?

I think it was the day after someone uttered the phrase "CELTIC TIGER". But I might be wrong. It could've been earlier.

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2

ah here. there's no such thing as a free gig. you either hire a venue cos you want to be the boss or you pay some shyster a few ton for the privlidge of playing in his venue. what's the differance, really?

i mean, not to mention hiring stuff if need be, transportation.. that kinda stuff. and if you're putting on a gig then you'd be expecting people to turn up, non? and if they don't maybe it's cos you stink* and you're in the wrong biznit.

*not meaning anyone specifically, before you go there. except speedys band REO Speedracer.

its a shit position to be in for a young band, first of all you need to spend a load to get decent equipment to gig with , then you put up with the terrible rehearsal facilitys in ireland, then you get your shit together for some gigs and they charge you to play! its madness! the cost of playing a gig is crazy, by the time you get your gear transported there and back and pay for the venue its costing you too much to be worth it:mad:

Originally posted by Hector Grey

*not meaning anyone specifically, before you go there. except speedys band REO Speedracer.

That ain't my band. 'Speed' isn't anywhere in our title. I know of a shit band called 'Speedman' though. If ye want to believe thats my concoction. Then go ahead. ...:D

Originally posted by figs

I played in one of Walsh's gigs when I was younger...good experience, but a total rip off...there were 6 or 7 bands on and each one paid to play.

Originally posted by bombidol
A young band arent going to be able to draw many people though thats the problem

This isn't always true.... if three young bands decide to play a gig together (and don't gig once a week...) then they can manage to put an audience together. It's enough every band brings 10 to 20 people... friends, girlfirends, cousins, etc.

I don't know how to do that fancy cut and paste a quote thing yet and all that...em, Hector Grey's point on bands getting people to come along...

I think it's a good point but I think you can make the argument that if bands get people to come along (which they generally do if they're putting on a gig, like, as you said) surely a cover charge on the door should be enough to make the venue owner happy - people will be paying in AND buying drinks that wouldn't have been sold otherwise. Everyone's happy - surely a direct 50/50 split on the door and a safety deposit for cancellation would be a saner way to do things. Instead of charging loads of money and a cover charge split AND making a killing in the bar that would otherwise be closed, pah. I don't know, I'm going to shut up. I don't want my opinion.

Originally posted by lorcanzo

really? i'm sure paul would be delighted to hear he has a critic.

Ooops, maybe I just caught them on a bad night. Nah, they just weren't me, me band mate, me college mates, the bouncers cup of tea. But after them I'm sure loads of people love 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back