Pattern cutting? (1 Viewer)

wild_cat

Any of yee good at this?

I can use the sewing machine and all no bother, just my pattern cutting skills are a bit shite.

Im trying to make a dress modeled on one that I already have.

Would be be best to take that apart and use that as my template?

Or will I use tonnes of rulers and try mimic it onto a piece of news paper and then leave 1 inch for the seems?

My mothers on holidays so I cant go annoying her for help. Ive got as far as setting up the machine and smoking about 10 fags as I stand in pure bafflement looking at the fabric.

Should I go all yahoo answers and offer rep for the best answer......

Doubt anyone would care even if I did.

Any of yee good at this?

I can use the sewing machine and all no bother, just my pattern cutting skills are a bit shite.

Im trying to make a dress modeled on one that I already have.

Would be be best to take that apart and use that as my template?

Or will I use tonnes of rulers and try mimic it onto a piece of news paper and then leave 1 inch for the seems?

My mothers on holidays so I cant go annoying her for help. Ive got as far as setting up the machine and smoking about 10 fags as I stand in pure bafflement looking at the fabric.

Should I go all yahoo answers and offer rep for the best answer......

Doubt anyone would care even if I did.

I care, Roisin. I care.

Have you gone into hickeys and looked at patterns that are vaguely similar to what you want to make? Benefits being sizings being easy to work out and you can (hopefully) adapt the pattern to be exactly what you want.

Otherwise, try using greaseproof / baking parchment or paper for patterns, cos they're a bit more robust, and keep testing and testing till you're sure you've got it reasonably right. Gathers in a skirt for example, will need 1 and a half times more fabric than you might imagine. I'd leave more than an inch for seams if I was guesstimating - leave 2 if you can.

But I'm not an expert and hardly ever get to sew anymore - that's the approach I'd take.

Thank you!

Had a look around in Hickeys, didnt find anything that I really wanted. The staff in there are some cunts when you ask for a bit of advice though.. thats a completely different matter....

My ma said to leave 2 inches as well. I'll break out the parchment paper to, much easier to manover than fucking broadsheets. That whole extra material thing to, thats what made the chain smoking start, my head got that "jesus this is like looking at maths on an exam and youve no clue" feeling that kind of hurts...

Anyways.. I must get a busy..

The staff in there are some cunts when you ask for a bit of advice though.. thats a completely different matter....
Hmm, Limerick too. I wonder why. Well, I wouldn't call them cunts exactly but they have certainly ripped a lot of people I know off by selling them loads more fabric than they needed for curtains and that.

Any time I've used patterns I traced my size from a ready made pattern onto greaseproof, so I'm not sure about how to do what you're trying to do. You're using a garment as the template is it? I know a few poeple who did fashion in the art college, and I know they used to pick apart garments and then trace the separate pieces onto greaseproof. They're not on thumped though. D'oh...

Ive given into defeat. I have an unholy mess of a skirt. May wait till the mammy comes home...

Its sickened me though Ive spent 30 quid on material and clothes dye that I could have bought something fairly decent with.

Hickeys.. I was looking for some jersey material, didnt know where to find it. Asked three different people, all of them shouted "NEXT FLOOR" so working down from the top floor.. they should have said the fucking basement. Then on finding they only had rotten grey I asked "Could you ord...." "NO".. "WHAT DID YA SAY TO ME" ... "eh can you order is some material".. "no.. no.. and no.." oh ok... "WHAT WERE YOU LOOKING FOR ANYWAY".. "Eh.. Jersey material".. "OH WE'VE NONE OF THAT LEFT".. "eh you do.. just over there..."

I walked off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back