Pat Kenny takes a bollockin' (3 Viewers)

i can understand people being pissed with bankers pay and bonuses as it's people's money that funded it and people got hurt when it went pear shaped, but rte presenters? pay them what you like, it's not my money.

Kenny says the late late took in 100 million euros for rte last year, it seems unlikely to me but thats what he said. I think he's ok on radio and on frontline and he must do a good bit more than just present. engaging in a debate about his salary with that scruff would have been unwise, he may as well just resign there and then.

well view for view, i cant see the comparison. compare it to any other country that has a population approaching 5 million. while america and the uk speak english relatively well, we cant compare the economies of our broadcasting.

you're right, we should get paid 1/60th of people in the US and 1/12th of those in the UK.

I'm confused - does the fact that he has mental issues mean that his point is any less valid?

Not neccessarily but it means people will be quick to discount his outburst.

Also - I don't see what the big deal is. Some guy shouted at Pat about stuff that people have been saying for ages. The reason Kenny didn't respond is because he didn't have to, it wasn't the forum to bring it up and him mentioning corruption was completely irrelevant as Pat Kenny may be overpaid but he earns what he earns from RTE legally.

grumpy editor said:
Not neccessarily but it means people will be quick to discount his outburst.

the first part there would be exactly why i've spent ages on this thread seeing if i can back up the guy's point with something logical. might have been an epic fail though. i like him. he's like the town crier in letterk.

Not neccessarily but it means people will be quit

Sorry to labour it, but I'm not saying I agree with his point, only that the insinuation is that Kenny can discard it because he's a mentaller, which is unfair as mentallers can make perfectly valid criticisms too. In this instance his mental condition is irrelevant to his point, whether you agree with him or not.

furious, mentals are to be laughed at and derided. if they happen upon coherent sentences it is by pure chance.

I'm just impressed that he rendered Mary Hanafin speechless. She was my Irish teacher in secondary school, nearly succeeded in putting me off my mother tongue for life.

Sorry to labour it, but I'm not saying I agree with his point, only that the insinuation is that Kenny can discard it because he's a mentaller, which is unfair as mentallers can make perfectly valid criticisms too. In this instance his mental condition is irrelevant to his point, whether you agree with him or not.

I'm not discounting his point because he was mental, I myself spend a brief period being mental in my early twenties. I'm just saying that the fact that he had mental issues will be used against him by others.

so if the license makes up 44% of the rte, then we paid Pat Kenny €286,000 and the advertisers paid him €364,000. does it not worry anyone ?

You could make about half a million episodes of hardy bucks for the price of one Pat Kenny.

Oh and if you think you don't have mental issues there is something seriously wrong with you.

I've seen that dude roaring his head off about Pat Kenny at the top end of Grafton Street.

He sure has passion.

mrs_lovejoy.jpg

well kenny is the figure head of the top earners in there, as our friend mentioned. he's the presenter on out national broadcaster and the public face. i think he should be fit to cover himself a bit better then just ignoring and brushing it aside. he's no loius theroux, David/Richard attenborough, he's not outstandingly talented. he's a below average television anchor. he facilitates entertainment rather then produces it. and how does a guy end working an 11 hour week for that money, surely thats not an advertised position, more likely an rte inside thing where backs scratch backs. i'd say he has a fair bit to do with how much he gets paid.

haven't read the whole thread, but give Pat a break! to give him his due he's a good presenter of current affairs and has been for a long time. he's pretty intelligent and well informed on most of the stuff he covers day to day, and he's a good interviewer. i like his radio show and how Frontline is shaping up

I'd be surprised if his shows weren't relatively modest budget in terms of the number of hours he generates in a year even when his salary is taken into account. I'm sure they pull in a relatively healthy amount of revenue for RTE and are not loss runners. The idea that he only works 11 hours a week and gets paid obscene amounts out of the public purse is a bit mean and wrong.

anyway, i have just had a flashback to chris de burgh's stirring defence of Pat on the late late and i feel a bit dirty

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back