Pastry (1 Viewer)

oh. i didnt know you could just buy it. you just get margerine (or lard or butter or a combination of them) then get twice the weight of it in flour, squidge it all up and add water til its doughy. pain in the hole it is.

My mammy makes great pastry, she reckons keeping it cold is the key, crumble the flour with the butter, add a little water to bind it. Dont do loads of kneading and messing it about with your hands, you'll warm it up too much.

Saw one recipe where the guy froze and then grated the butter or stork or whatever. seemed like a good plan.
Mmmm baking..

My mammy makes great pastry, she reckons keeping it cold is the key, crumble the flour with the butter, add a little water to bind it. Dont do loads of kneading and messing it about with your hands, you'll warm it up too much.

Saw one recipe where the guy froze and then grated the butter or stork or whatever. seemed like a good plan.
Mmmm baking..

Apparently if you normally have cold hands you make better pastry too.

Don't use margarine, you nut - butter is your only man. Lard is more for savoury stuff, I think, like Cornish pasties and steak and kidney pies and the like

I made choux pastry for the first time the Saturday before last. Smashing, and not that hard

You can buy frozen puff pastry in most supermarkets

I have a rake of Julia Child DVDs. She makes crossiants in on of them. Christ what a palaver - roll & fold & roll & fold & roll & fold & roll & fold & roll & fold & roll & fold & roll & fold & roll & fold & roll & fold.

Don't use margarine, you nut

why not? i've used it before, with moderately successful results. would flora work? might be too soft maybe. i seem to recall that oootini told me he made pastry using only flour and water - does this sound as unlikely to everyone else as it did to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back