Overrated Albums thread .....(with a twist) (1 Viewer)

Charlie Bucket

ok lets have a thunped version of that article on over-rated albums that someone else posted ( http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/story/0,,2102991,00.html ).....

{but for a neat twist why don't we try to pick apart albums that we actually like?}

I'll get the ball rolling.....

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
A reservoir of reverb, a few fx pedals, airy wordless vocalising and some clumsily sampled drum breaks (cause yr drummer's sick from eating drugs and living in a squat) do not make a classic album.

A minefield full of cans of worms!

Jeff Buckley-Grace
Too many cover versions, teenage/naval-gazing poetry-style lyrics and laughable vocal pyrotechnics.

yeah, jeez, I could have written it better though. Using 'like' twice in the same sentence, *tsk*

Slint - Spiderland
Guy can't sing so he talks, rest of band think they are in black sabbath playing slow jazz. If they didn't exist then Mogwai would have invented them.

The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

Just because Husker Du released a double album doesn't mean you have to. The term album filler may as well been made for this album. Random bits of acoustic meddling and spoken word used to pad out the album to the desired 2xlp size leaving a wholly disjointed effort altogether.

It could probably have been a pretty good single lp.

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

What's wrong with this album? Is it the more forgettable numbers towards the end like Girl (only memorable for the sucking sound they make in the chorus) or Wait (Beatles by numbers)? No, what's wrong with this album is this: "Beep Beep Beep Beep YEAH!". Drive My Car does not rock even a little bit.

The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

Just because Husker Du released a double album doesn't mean you have to. The term album filler may as well been made for this album. Random bits of acoustic meddling and spoken word used to pad out the album to the desired 2xlp size leaving a wholly disjointed effort altogether.

It could probably have been a pretty good single lp.

Are you a fan of any other Minutemen stuff ? Give this album at least 4 listens ; I'm sure you'll revise your opinion of it.

Are you a fan of any other Minutemen stuff ? Give this album at least 4 listens ; I'm sure you'll revise your opinion of it.

Did you read the first post of this thread?

It's most likely my favourite album of all time and there defo my favourite band, I love all the bits and pieces in it. :)

35503qeve_w.jpg

rumours%202.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back