overheating pc (1 Viewer)

jimmybreeze

Anyone ever have this problem?
It kept shutting down with no warning with increasing regularity last week,then got a type of an alarm noise when I switch it back on,and it said that it had to shut down due to overheating problems.
I opened her up and hoovered all the fluff and shit off the fans but still no joy,keeps shutting down almost immediately after booting up,with the same error messages.

Is it just as simple as getting and installing a new fan to fix it?

Is it just as simple as getting and installing a new fan to fix it?

Possibly. And turn off the rads in the room. And open the window.

I once took off the case and put a fan on in my room. Worked wonders. Very stop-gappish, but the pc lasted another two years. Until I replaced it. Probably would still work if it had memory and a hard drive in the case.

Quite possibly your motherboard is on the fritz, though, but don't worry about it unless it actually dies.

But do make a back up now of your most important stuff. Just cos you should be doing it anyway and just in case.

And, of course, write down the message you get word for word when it happens and do a google search in "quotation marks".

EDIT: Oh, and make sure that everything is seated properly. Especially the CPU (make sure the pc has been switche doff for about an hoiur before you touch it or the fan - and that the pc isn't plugged in - that fucker gets hot).

cheers man,iv got pretty much everything backed up on external hd,and dvd.
majority of stuff on it are programs tho,so i would absolutely hate to have to reinstall all of those!So fingers crossed it isnt the motherboard etc.
Recently installed extra Ram so odds are I knocked something out of place or covered something up.....hopefully!
little worried bout burning down the house tho...:eek:

Probably the cause there. The extra RAM. Make sure they're correctly seated in their sockets. Chances are they are. And if the motherboard is old, that the ram is paired (though it would probably have to be fairly old). No harm to make sure everything is seated. Just open it up and start pushing down on things. After the usual anti-static precautions, of course.

If you're still getting it, unisntall the ram for a few days and check it that way. But that's a pain.

made sure not to fry the ram and they seem to be installed properly!paired and fully clippedin,i made sure nothing was loose and tied any loose cables up,and its been running long enough to check the event viewer now,Its giving numerous system errors with cdrom as the message so I think Ill uninstallthat to be safe (i have both a dvdrom and cdrom installed).
Its also giving a load of errors for E100B, and USBKT1X1.

Weird ones.

Have you checked for malware? Per a quick google, that usbkt1x1 error seems to be related to common malware problems. Run Spybot S&D and get rid of everything it finds.

But that doesn't actually explain why the 'puter is telling you it's overheating.

Unplug the cdrom while you're at it and see what happens over the next 24 hours or so.

I'll admit to being a bit stumped.

Stick a fan in the room if you have one. Just to be on the safe side.

check the fan on the cpu is fitted correctly and working.
most pc's will shut down real quick if the fan is not touching the chip.

also maybe check any other fans , power supply, video card etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back