'Other User' screen after I used vista recovery.Please Help! (1 Viewer)

Anthem

Hi Folks,

Last Thursday my computer was stuck in a reboot loop when it was installing updates. Unfortunatley their was no restore date for me to use so I was l decided to burn a vista recovery disc to reboot the system. I went to my mates where he did this for me and got it burned onto CD R. I placed it into the computer but all I get is a blue screen with a little monitor symbol that reads 'Other User'. I click the symbol and it prompts me for a username and passord. I never created a 'other user' account so don't know the password or the username. Is there a way that I can reformat my computer? I have tried everything including holding down alt key and pressing F10 at the same time. I went into BIOS settings and tried everything. My computer is an Acer 5720 travelmate. I have it 4 years and never had a problem up until now, any help would be appreciated.

Interesting. I don't know the answer but from my knowledge of a particular area of computing this strikes me as the kind of issue that lots of people will have encountered. A google search confirms this.

Sounds like you need to reinstall your computer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-Vista

If you can't get windows working maybe just reinstall it with some flavour or other of Linux. You'll be no worse off.

first of all, make a linux boot CD / USB and use that to boot up the computer & backup everything on your computer to an external drive

after you do that, reinstall

Thanks for the prompt replies lads - I ill look into that advice.

Interesting. I don't know the answer but from my knowledge of a particular area of computing this strikes me as the kind of issue that lots of people will have encountered. A google search confirms this.

Sounds like you need to reinstall your computer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-Vista

If you can't get windows working maybe just reinstall it with some flavour or other of Linux. You'll be no worse off.

Thank you so much scutter and Pete - I burned Linuxmint 13 maya edition and voila, I have my PC back. It is an awesome OS isn't it? I can't believe how easy and quick it is to use and I don't get crashes when I am watching videos etc. I really love this system, what the f**k was I doing with vista all this time!?

Thanks again lads, I was going to chuck my computer out and now you are after saving me a packet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back