Opinions on jangly, rocky indie carry-on from the North (1 Viewer)

Nice riff. Vocals and lyrics are too emo. Reminds me like some of the better pop-punk stuff that used to be around Ireland 1997-2001 kind of times. There's someone specific I'm thinking of but their name escapes me.

there you go.

Haha! I can understand why you'd say the lyrics are a bit 'emo'. I'm obsessed with 80s indie lyricists like Morrissey, Robert Smith, Ian Curtis, Gedge (The Wedding Present) etc who all write very emotional lyrics I guess. I'm also influenced by a lot of melodic hardcore/post-hardcore/emocore stuff a la Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate as well as the more modern More Than Life, Lower Than Atlantis, Dead Swans etc. So inevitably my lyrics have an 'emo' edge to them I suppose! Girls seem to like them anyway haha.

Vocals are way too loud in the mix. Sounds like yous are trying to be the next fighting with wire/snow patrol rather than just playing music music are really into playing.

And in terms of the first track being too long, I suppose it is quite a long track. The second track is only 3min 26 long, maybe more in keeping with jingly jangly rocky indie stuff! Have a listen to it as well if you've the time. It's a bit more upbeat.

yep, had a listen there. I like that one a lot more. Nice kind of retro feel to it. Good job.

Vocals are way too loud in the mix. Sounds like yous are trying to be the next fighting with wire/snow patrol rather than just playing music music are really into playing.

I've addressed the vox being too high in the mix issue. Like I said the recording and production was all done DIY within a shed in my garden so things were never going to be perfect but we'll learn from this and take it into consideration in the next release.

And I think the FWW/Snow Patrol thing is a bit unfair. The three of us are all into loads of different genres of music and we've been experimenting with different sounds for 4 years. We played heavy music for years, and whilst we still adore it and still follow many different types of metal, rock, punk and hardcore, it just wasn't 'us' in terms of what we felt was our 'sound' and what we felt comfortable playing.

We're all big into our various forms of 'indie' music (not much modern stuff though, we wouldn't be influenced by FWW or Snow Patrol at all) and to be honest it's only now with this new guise and sound that we finally feel comfortable and that we've found our 'sound'. I don't think we sound like any of the other apparent indie bands doing the rounds at the minute, and I've been told the same by a lot of people.

yep, had a listen there. I like that one a lot more. Nice kind of retro feel to it. Good job.

Cheers! Glad you enjoyed it. A few people have said the same actually in terms of the retro feel to it. Our guitarist is quite influenced by The Smiths and The La's and I think that comes across in the guitar-work in that track. The riffs reminds me of Johnny Marr in parts, and especially in the solo. But aye thanks again for listening!

xyonfurtqc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back