Ones to Watch 2013 (1 Viewer)

just looking through those bands and maybe Cave Ghosts have a Best Ghost surfy thing going on. they're really good anyway so who fucking cares what genre it is.

Guilty Optics - not surf
Girl Band - not surf
Hidden Highways - not surf
Soil Creep - not surf
Magic Pockets - not surf
Ginnels - not surf
Windings - not surf
Hunk - not surf

in fact lots of them are as far from surf pop as you could imagine

don't think I've heard the rest

Hunk maybe a little bit?

Anyway just to answer my own question from earlier

- FRI 11TH
Whelans:
20:15-20:45 Soldiers Cant Dance
21:00-21:30 Croupier
21:45-22:15 The Yips
22:30-23:00 Gangs
Whelans Upstairs:
20:30-21:00 I Heart The Monster Hero
21:15-21:45 Cat Dowling
22:00-22:30 Dott
22:45-23:15 Biggles Flys Again
23:30-00:00 Bantum*
00:15-00:45 Tandem Felix*
01:00-01:30 Wiltz*
01:45-02:15 Rural Savage*
The Village
20:15-20:45 Yellow Bridge
21:00-21:30 Orphan Code
21:45-22:15 Juliets Rescue
22:30-23:00 The Jigsaw Jam
Whelan’s Bar
21:00 Unwinding Cables

pete ; any chance of splitting the irrelevant posts into a 'genres and homage bands muso discussion' thread? i was referencing the entire world of music, as opposed to any band in particular.

When I think of surf I don't think of shimmery guitars and breathy girly vocals, I think of guitars, and more guitars

luchador masks optional

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[video=youtube_share;Ls9-smAgSRI]http://youtu.be/Ls9-smAgSRI[/video]

When I think of surf I don't think of shimmery guitars and breathy girly vocals, I think of guitars, and more guitars

luchador masks optional

[video=youtube_share;Ls9-smAgSRI]http://youtu.be/Ls9-smAgSRI[/video]

That video makes me think there would be a market for someone to start a trendy/okay for him and her strip place in Dublin with live surf/garage bands, craft beers, decent cocktails and burlesque-y women. Do women still think burlesque is okay?

This band are surfy and are from Dublin, but weren't playing (I don't think) and aren't anything to do with Popical. If that helps.

Also, could someone sort the following bands in "surf-y" and "not surf-y"?

Thanks.

Best Coast

Weezer

The Shadows

Dum Dum Girls

Wavves

King Tuff

Beach House

That's not what I asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YBSs3-RfLKk#!

Well these all sound exactly the same so whatever you want to call it it's shite.

I'm not a fan of those either but I was interested in the "what is surf-y?" discussion. I think the term is over used.

Well those bands sum up the thing i hate pretty well. I'll put it like this.

Every band I've ever loved have had more ambition than ability. Some have had plenty of both. What I mean by ambition is not that they sold records or made it rich I mean they push forward and try new things. It excites me when a band does tries things that they can't quite pull off.

These bands are the absolute antithesis of this. Their ambition, it seems, is to sound like a carbon copy of each other. It's a sound based in fashion and attention or approval seeking. I have the exact same problem with a lot of post rock, a lot of metal and a hell of a lot of punk, in fact if anyone says they are in a "insert genre here" band they are probably either

A. Understating what they do or

B. Being completely earnest and as such missing the point completely.

an example of A would be Sonic Youth describing themselves as a "rock" band.

B would be any of the above describing themselves as whatever the fashion based term for what they do is.

It's, seemingly, enough for them to be part of the scene rather than bring anything new to it. some of these bands are on their 3rd record it's utterly bizarre. Like when someone in AC/DC said that they make the same record every year and just change the cover. The bands that subscribe to this fashion (and that's all I get from it is fashion It reminds me of designer label plaid shirts during the grunge period.) are essentially perpetuating something that stalled after those bands had made one record. It's the epitome of Woody Allens dead shark. Don't get me wrong I do like some bands who have taken a bit of influence from it and made something new. But three chords too much reverb and that same tired drum beat does not excite me in the slightest. Going back to the initial point about ambition vs ability. The more I see of bands who play this kind of thing the more I think that they are actually better musicians than the fashion allows, so to speak, and so the scene, the fashion etc inspires people to stay stuck repeating the same old shit instead of making something unique. That's deeply troubling and what's more troubling is that "curators" the "bloggers" or whatever "they" are calling themselves, for me the best description would be "fashionistas" these days seem to be falling over themselves to support this.

This obviously isn't a new thing though, it's just that the reverby 'pop' music you're talking about is one of the current fads. Lots of it is rubbish and boring and unimaginative. Plus ca change, etc.

I object to the term "deeply troubling". Nothing that happens in terms of what bands are doing musically is deeply troubling.

Y Niwl are a good contemporary surf band

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back