Whelans Upstairs:
21:15-21:45 Fern Floor
22:00-22:30 Hidden Highways
22:45-23:15 Soil Creep
23:30-00:00 Ginnels
00:15-00:45 Magic Pockets
01:00-01:30 Windings
01:45-02:15 Hunk

washingcattle hates genres that are from other countries supposedly, except the ones he likes. those are grand.

He's got a valid point. Waay too many 'surf-pop' bands doing the rounds here at the moment. Lots of jangley reverb soaked tunes with an abundance of wide sounding vowel led choruses.

He's got a valid point. Waay too many 'surf-pop' bands doing the rounds here at the moment. Lots of jangley reverb soaked tunes with an abundance of wide sounding vowel led choruses.

there are alway way too many something though. well ok, there isn't.

i've discussed homage bands at drunken length with a fair few people. its something that i think about too much possibly. the sort of conclusions i generally come to split 50/50.

sometimes i despise all homage bands as it can be viewed as some sort of pagentry, i.e. next week we are having a nu-metal pagent, we'd like everyone to downtune thier guitars, get fasionable goth metal clothes and cryscream thier way through the night. i'm pretty sure 95% of musicians i know, given that task could probably do it. and in that sense, homage bands annoy me.

then on the other side of the coin, i sorta wonder along the lines of 'why import a pile of bands when the guys on my street corner can do it just as good?' and why should we be limited to sticking to a few genres because we don't actually surf, or mope about being nu, or whatever. then there are the homage bands who take the sound of a genre and in not too long push it along somewhere it never went before and we sit listening going 'jesus someone should have thought that up years ago, it was always meant to do that'

then on the third hand, there is a fine line between some homage bands and cover bands and i wonder should they just play covers instead of loose weak interpretations of the musings of 2-3 acts.

i know it fascinates me anyways.

I do like some homage style bands but it is almost like getting a kit on how to put a band together. Painting by numbers in a way. You choose the genre/sub genre. These are the palette of influences and sounds you can use. These are the types of instruments you need. These are the haircuts & clothes you need. This is the type of art work & font style you can select from.

Perfect example would be The Urges. I like em. I have their album & new single. But they are essentially a tribute act. The Strypes are the exact same.

So which of the above are surf pop then?

Schedule for tonight?

i'm not sure if you are asking me, but the answer would be 'all' if you were.

you can have painful homages, groundbreakers and locals who'd give the originators a run for thier money and guys who should just be a tribute act.

genre's are funny things. the celtic music classication system was much more accurate.

i'm not sure if you are asking me, but the answer would be 'all' if you were.

you can have painful homages, groundbreakers and locals who'd give the originators a run for thier money and guys who should just be a tribute act.

genre's are funny things. the celtic music classication system was much more accurate.

I'm completely lost

People do expect to see certain types of guitars, haircuts, clothes ect if they like a particular genre. I'd love to see a crowd reaction to a black metal band dressed in suits with pink hello kitty guitars.

People do expect to see certain types of guitars, haircuts, clothes ect if they like a particular genre. I'd love to see a crowd reaction to a black metal band dressed in suits with pink hello kitty guitars.

some lad from an rock band i knew dressed up in street lads type adidas gear, peaked hat, hoody etc one night for a gig and proceeded to play great strat licks. the awkwardness and shock in the audience was visible. i can still remember the feeling of weirdness in the room.

I cant believe surf pop is back!

Man I'm outta touch.

35fdki.jpg

just looking through those bands and maybe Cave Ghosts have a Best Ghost surfy thing going on. they're really good anyway so who fucking cares what genre it is.

Guilty Optics - not surf
Girl Band - not surf
Hidden Highways - not surf
Soil Creep - not surf
Magic Pockets - not surf
Ginnels - not surf
Windings - not surf
Hunk - not surf

in fact lots of them are as far from surf pop as you could imagine

don't think I've heard the rest

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back