olive kitteridge (1 Viewer)

All one has to do is listen to the scoring for Olive Kittridge, in the trailer out now, to feel the condescension and smugness of the project. This is white world of minor problems that are not really such big problems, after all. There are certain adjectives, when read in a review of a film, that mean one should flee and not look back (irascible is one, whimsical is another, and of course heart warming). This sickening sentimentality is, I am finding, now sutured to the fine cross hatch stitching of all things white, of a nostalgia for an imagined world that never never never existed. The entire thrust of this sort of narrative is to erase the tragic, to erase the actual suffering and despair of the poor today on the streets of America. To erase the history of genocide and slavery. But it is also, more, to fabricate an imaginary world as if it were real, and then allow it to provide a sort of backdrop for discussions about the real world. Again, there is nowhere in the United States like these towns.But its worth repeating that Maine is the least diverse state in the entire country. Fiftieth out of fifty.

YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD

Cannibalizing Culture

(how is this btw? looks good)

i can't actually figure out what that guy's issue is. i think he's just disappeared very far up his own arse.
i only got through about a quarter of the text though, it's very long.
He's a very good thinker and possibly good playwright. I really like his blog.

But yeah, he's not very tolerant of anything that isn't about dirt-poor transgender black people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back