Now that everyone's broke... (1 Viewer)

I can think of a few things but my iBook G4 is probably top of the list, it's a great little workhorse. It also played a major part in finding himself again so it gets bonus points.

Even before reading that article that old posted a link to I've been quickly realising that we will never be able to afford (or keep) anything nice ever again, well for at least 18 years. Bye bye discretionary spending money, it was nice knowing you.

hmm

My girls I guess, though I didn't really notice the $$$ going

a nice holiday in Italy a few years ago, probably my best holiday ever

apart from that, nothing much

An education. I wouldn't get away with ditching (full-time) work and heading back to college these days. On the other hand, I missed out on those swollen pay-rates that you read about in't papers.

Good call. The amount of gargles I was spotted whilst being a relatively broke adult student could not be supported now by my impoverished mates.

Looking at pay rates now quoted on jobs sites I don't think I'll ever earn what my contract statess I should be paid ever again

I'm still loaded and, due to some canny investments, getting richer all the time. But from the years when I appreciated my wealth, I'll have to say it's the small things that I'm fondest of, and the intangibles: the faraway holidays, the vouchers that went unspent, the Flora Pro-Active spreads, health foods in general. Great quantities of food and drink. I'm living the good life still, but I'm so sorry for everyone who's had to share the pain, as they say.

I can't actually think of one ridiculous indulgence I allowed myself. Like, a really stupid purchase, unless you count wasting money on bands. But I didn't do that as someone who earned a large salary. I didn't benefit hugely from the good times and I'm not suffering greatly (yet) in the bad times.
I went on a big holiday to South America a few years ago, in fairness.

I'm still loaded and, due to some canny investments, getting richer all the time. But from the years when I appreciated my wealth, I'll have to say it's the small things that I'm fondest of, and the intangibles: the faraway holidays, the vouchers that went unspent, the Flora Pro-Active spreads, health foods in general. Great quantities of food and drink. I'm living the good life still, but I'm so sorry for everyone who's had to share the pain, as they say.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Moods For Mallards again.

Well, as people never tire of reminding me, I live in the 80's anyway so I guess everyone just caught up with me.

I have no idea how people on welfare or in badly paid jobs can afford the costs that come with a kid. Buggies and car seats are mad expensive, not to mention doctor trips etc. I got loads of hand-me-down toys for Thomas, and Jacob will wear all of Thomas' old clothes, but it's the unexpected things that catch you out - even though nappies and baby wipes seems to be permanently discounted since the whole shopping-up-north thing started.

The lady across the road has three. She doesn't run a car, her parents come round twice a week and they get a boot load of groceries and go somewhere else on saturday. I've a fair idea that they dont own a child seat either (that said, its a 20 mile per hour max drive to the school from here, no m50's or anything to deal with) - I think the school run is split between a few family members. From my curtain twitching point of view, i can also say that she gets all her food in asda in strabane. She never ever ever goes out for the night, just a few cans in front of the tele at the weekend with her neice.

... what are you happiest you got in the brief moment when you had money?
(you're not allowed to say house or car)

well my last proper job was essentially 2003 before i contracted trigeminal neuralgia. I was 22/23 and i spent most of the money on the recording studio and drink. since then i've been on welfare with part time jobs from time to time and have lived on basically the same budget every year/week. roughly its this:

25 - 45% rent/utilities
30% savings/rainyday (i'm totally staunch about this one, it never goes below 30%)
25 - 45% food/beer/socializing/travel etc.

I've never really had any money. Worked in bookshops in early '00s thanks to dropping out of college. Went back in 2004 and finished a degree in 2008. After a year of part-time work I then did a postgrad. Somehow have ended up only owing €1500 after five years in college so I suppose I can't complain. I'm well used to not having an arse in my trousers.

Rent is the killer. Saving money while unemployed just can't happen for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back