Novel Soundtracks (4 Viewers)

Carlito

I can't seem to hold my concentration when reading unless I've got music of some sort playing at the same time. As a result, I end up having corresponding soundtracks to books I've read. For example, whenever I think of Blood Meridian, I hear White Lunar by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. I find lyrics a distraction when I'm trying to concentrate so it usually ends up being mostly electronic or instrumental stuff like some of The Album Leaf or Efterklang (both of which tend to sing in a non intrusive way or in another language if they do at all)

Does anyone else do this? If so, what albums do you listen to when reading and do you have any interesting novel/album link ups?

Earth's Hex; or Printing in the Infernal Method was influenced heavily by Blood Meridian. I tend to get Earth's "Plague of Angels" when I think of The Road:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Earth's Hex; or Printing in the Infernal Method was influenced heavily by Blood Meridian. I tend to get Earth's "Plague of Angels" when I think of The Road:

The Road coincided with my renewed interest in Come On Die Young by Mogwai. Suffice to say that was an intense period of nightmarishness.

have a bunch of albums i go to for reading. all instrumental/ambient unsurprisingly. 5 off the top of my head;

the tired sounds of stars of the lid
brian eno - lux
loscil - endless falls
oneohtrix point never - returnal (first track noisy abrasive stuff, rest are not)
gas - nah und fern boxset (ambient techno)

I'm already getting shivers at the thought of Mogwai's album-artwork artist coming up with something for A Child of God. Also, when I read your post first, I thought you said "The Road coincided with my renewed interest in Come Dine with Me". I was sufficiently terrified.

I'm already getting shivers at the thought of Mogwai's album-artwork artist coming up with something for A Child of God. Also, when I read your post first, I thought you said "The Road coincided with my renewed interest in Come Dine with Me". I was sufficiently terrified.
Ha, Best come dine with me ever. Jeffery Dahlmer, The Donner Party and that Argentine Rugby team were on it. I never knew there were so many ways to cook arse.

For me, it has to be instrumental too, but even that can be a distraction - especially on earphones.

Willy Vlautin's novel Northline came with its own soundtrack cd, which was pretty cool.

I also listen to this quite a bit while reading

I can listen to music, but only if its instrumental. I have an ambient drone playlist on spotify that I listen to when I'm reading because I also find the sound of silence really really distracting!

I can listen to music, but only if its instrumental. I have an ambient drone playlist on spotify that I listen to when I'm reading because I also find the sound of silence really really distracting!

You get a like for the post and your sign off quote.

"The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford" Soundtrack is my go to reading album. A friend of mine gave me a collection of classical stuff back in college but I never really took to it. Found I Giorni by Ludovico a really nice one to have on in the background too.

"The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford" Soundtrack is my go to reading album. A friend of mine gave me a collection of classical stuff back in college but I never really took to it. Found I Giorni by Ludovico a really nice one to have on in the background too.
Great score that, I love the Proposition as well but that has some lyrics on it.

Any Angelo Badalamenti goes really well with any Haruki Murakami.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back