NOUVELLE VAGUE live at CrawDaddy on Fri 5th Nov (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
CrawDaddy presents

NOUVELLE VAGUE

CrawDaddy, Old Harcourt St. Train Station. Tel. 01 4780225

Friday 5th November. Doors 8pm.

Standing €20, seated €24.50. Tickets available from Soundcellar, Road Records, City Discs, Freebird Records, and Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.ie). Locall Ticketmaster 0818 719 300

“Unquestioningly beautiful…will set latin flames surging through the coldest post-punk veins.” MOJO

In their Irish debut, French collective Nouvelle Vague come to Crawdaddy on Fri 5th Nov for an exclusive night of jazz, bossa nova, and 60s pop versions of your favourite punk and new wave classics. Musicians Marc Collin and Olivier Libaux decided to cover their favourite tracks from the eighties, from bands like The Clash, Depeche Mode, Dead Kennedys, The Cure, and Joy Division not to mention the Undertones. To do this, they decided to work with seven fully-trained young female jazz singers who had never before heard the originals.

The resulting album is “a sultry riot…a compendium of unsettling suprises.” (Uncut) The hypnotizing sound goes beyond simply hearing novelty remakes of songs you are familiar with, but instead delves into the joys and depths of heartfelt bossa nova songs. NME called the album “full of yearning, poise and the quiet tears of a gently aching heart,” while TimeOut has said, “the effect is like finishing a sad book on a sunny beach…’gorgeousness’ as Bjork would say.”

For their only stop in the country before finishing their European tour, including an appearance at the MTV Music Awards in Rome, Nouvelle Vague’s special set in CrawDaddy will consist of a four-piece band, featuring singers Camille and Melanie Pain.

Nouvelle Vague biog

"Nouvelle Vague" is a French project initialised by multi-instrumentalists and producers Marc Collin and Olivier Libaux. Marc first came to recognition with his band Ollano, known for their Francophone trip-hop/ jazz-fusion & his movie soundtracks such as "the kidnapper's theme". He soon moved into the realm of club music, initially recording for the UK’s own Paper Recordings & progressing into a more creative and eclectic producer under the guises Avril on Fcom, & Volga Select on Output records. Olivier Libaux has been involved with many French pop acts during the nineties and started working with Marc in 1998. He recently released his first solo album "L'héroïne au bain" on French label Naïve.

“Nouvelle Vague" which translates to new wave in English, & bossa nova in Portuguese revisits a number of both Marc and Olivier's favourite tracks from the early eighties, taking in bands such as The Clash, Joy Division, and the Cure.
Their idea was to forget the initial punk or new wave background of each song, keep simple fundamental chords, & work with young female vocalists (six French, one Brazilian and one New Yorker) who had never heard the original versions.

The result is thirteen expertly curated cover versions in a stunning combination of bossa nova, jazz and sixties pop - Imagine the cocktail hour smooch of Astrid Gilberto, or Juliet Greco’s Rive Gauche croon - but from a darker, stranger parallel universe.

According to Camille, singer on the covers of ‘The Guns of Brixton’ and ‘In a manner of speaking’, “I don't know anything about punk/new wave music though - probably because I was very young at the time and because, as a child, I would listen more to the music from my parent's youth, i.e. music from the 70's. And so I recorded the tracks for Nouvelle Vague without knowing or hearing any of the original versions ! The producers just taught the songs to me. Strangely, I feel very connected to these songs, not from a generational point of view, but from an intimate point of view. I think they are universal.”

Yes, in theory, it might have been a novelty - even gimmicky - idea, but forget about that (as anyone who gets swept along by the album’s hypnotic opening inevitably will). Instead, leave your prejudices at the door, turn the volume up, sit back and prepare to swoon.

they is great. bossanova newwave smoochy songs. especially 'too drunk to fuck'
hmmmm, can i afford to purchase the tickets?
the real question is, can i afford not to purchase the tickets*?

* well, yes, yes, i can. that's the cheaper option, obviously.

argh ! the channel oners

(you'll always be known as the guys who copied juan atkins name
there is and always will be only one channel one , the godfather of detroit )

Juan who?

Booyah

skinnerchinner said:
argh ! the channel oners

(you'll always be known as the guys who copied juan atkins name
there is and always will be only one channel one , the godfather of detroit )

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back