noisy amp knobs (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
my amp makes lots of noise when you turn the knobs and the level kinda jumps all over the place. a friend of mine tells me there is some sort of spray i can get that will fix it - do i just yank off the knobs and spray this stuff on? is it pricey and would waltons have it or would i have to go to an electrical store?

my amp makes lots of noise when you turn the knobs and the level kinda jumps all over the place. a friend of mine tells me there is some sort of spray i can get that will fix it - do i just yank off the knobs and spray this stuff on? is it pricey and would waltons have it or would i have to go to an electrical store?

I'd imagine an electrical would be your best bet, Maplins defo had it last time I was in there and I think was about €15 for a can. Yes to your other questions and it's called contact cleaner.

One of the best switchcleaners to use to clean Noisy volume/tone controls etc is Colclene PCS Precision Cleaning Spray part no SA01626 from www.cpc.co.uk page 2108 in their current catalogue. This spray is non-inflammable and doesn't leave a sticky residue behind like some cleaners do, it's expensive at £17.86 + vat but well worth it.
Don't use WD40 it will spread throughout your amp and cause all sorts of problems.

To clean controls properly you MUST open up the amp chassis to spray the cleaner directly into the body of the control, so you need to know what your doing to avoid killing yourself from the High Voltages that sometimes remain for a while after an amp has been switched off. Taking the knobs off and spraying round the bearing just dries the bearing out and then the control often jams up solid. It is not a difficult job but needs to be done properly to be effective. It is well worth doing though, I have found most controls clean up really well no matter how old they are and usually stay crackle free for at least 2-3 years. Luckily for us most good amps and guitars use good quality controls so they last a lifetime unlike the controls on cheap audio equipment.

Hope this helps you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back