No More Lonely Knights (2 Viewers)

Jimmy Magee

Website
www.myspace.com
Yello all, yes it's true, it's finally almost upon us...the launch of Michael Knight's debut EP. What better way to ease thy way into the Christmas spirit and Yule cheer? The details:

Michael Knight and the Foundation - No More Lonely Knights EP launch
4th December 2003
Lower Deck, 1 Portobello Harbour, Dublin 8
Price 8 euro
Doors 8pm
Support acts Dinah Brand and Omelette
Free copy of EP on the door

Michael Knight:

"Irresistibly catchy songs and feel-good melodies" Sunday Tribune
"Beautifully delivered vocals and compelling choruses" Eclectic Honey

Forget (David) Kitt
Forget the Foundation
Forget dodgy ‘80’s theme tunes
For while Michael Knight may remain a lone crusader, it is not against
criminals who operate above the law, but musical mediocrity. Well, that’s
the plan anyway, but unfortunately he’ll probably just wind up being big in
Germany…Anyway, having tried his hand with various bands and getting
nowhere, our Michael eventually decided to give the solo artist route a
lash, and spent some time in seclusion, developing his new style. While he
would like to think of this as something between the Beach Boys and Burt
Bacharach, he has also been compared to the Divine Comedy and the Beatles,
which he can, he supposes, (grudgingly) accept. He’s spent the last two
years playing gigs around Dublin, and is at last ready to unleash his
long-awaited debut EP. For the launch he will have the backing of full band The Foundation, assembled from some of Dublin's finest underground acts.

www.villainrecords.com

Omelette:

"The perfect song...A band this good could easily fill a whole forty-minute album and still leave you wanting more"
Eclectic Honey, review of "Happiness" single

omelette are an indie rock band...
they play indie rock songs...
last year Julius Geezer Records released their Debut 7"ep called
Happiness...
it is very good, and some reviews said so...

This year they recorded an album called Off By Heart and are going to
release it in the new year... It's chock full of indie rock songs.

www.omeletterock.com

Dinah Brand:
Good evening. Here is the news: A woman was found dead this morning at a house in suburban Dublin. Foul play is suspected. The state pathologist John Harbison has been called to the scene to investigate. Though details of the case are few, the site has already been dubbed 'the House of Blood' by some locals. It is understood that the dead woman had previously been known to the authorities as a victim of domestic violence and that, subsequent to her former partner's arrest, she had apparently employed a private detective for protective purposes. The woman's name has not yet been released. Police are following a definite line of enquiry. They are looking for a man said to be suffering from 'the Pale Monkey Blues'.

Dinah Brand: three bozos.You might have seen them around, looking shifty on the street. Their faces almost familiar, they've got form alright but they're not spilling on the who, what, where, why, when or how - Their names are irrelevant; the history is past, the future is none of anyones business; fallen mankind is a given. Listen to the words. They tell the tale of The Pale Monkey Blues, or, Songs from A Tight Spot: one dark night; eight lonely stories, eight tales of malaise and melancholia from the urban forest. Written over a lifetime, learned in a year; recorded in forty hours, mixed in twelve, mastered in four. Listening time: 32 minutes, eighteen seconds. “It’s an open-and-shut case.”

At last The Dinah Brand has arrived. The band who hail from a restless place, born in the parishes of Dublin. They were educated in such primary schools as Guardian Angels, Rockbourne Village School, St. Mary’s BNS Lucan and Presentation College, Glasthule. Their hobbies are football, dominoes, sitting and thinking. Influences include Lonnie Donegan, Micheal Hurley, CCR, Flannery O Connor, Dashiell Hammett and grim eastern European art filcks. They hope you enjoy with great listening pleasure the ‘Pale Monkey Blues’, their first recorded album.

OI! just cos its old dont mean its shite or anytin... personally, I hate omelette now... I much prefer their earlyer stuff...

I want a church organ and a speedy wilson fade out too...!
that mp3 is class

Michael Knight's lyrics have always fascinated me...what do they mean Mickey?

Things like "cosy (crusty) cores/wrapped in seeds I long to see/long to see in my home" have made me ponder. Even the seemingly simple ones, "lurching forward like foals" or "When I see them with sequins in their eyes" - that sounds sore.

I call on Mickey Knight to give us an insight into his lyrics if he wants anyone to go to this gig.

Ian said:
OI! just cos its old dont mean its shite or anytin... personally, I hate omelette now... I much prefer their earlyer stuff...

I want a church organ and a speedy wilson fade out too...!
that mp3 is class
Mmm...would you believe that afterwards I wasn't really happy with that fade out precisely because it was too fast. Y'see I wanted to fade just as you have that guitar-imitating backing vocals bit-over-the-different-chord that links the chorus back to the chorus rather than back to the verse-bit, but if I'd gone for another chorus it would have been too long. What I've since decided I should have done was just stick a half chorus on, and use the link-back-to-chorus chord again, and I would have been laughing.

That's WAAAAYYYY too much information, I'll wager.

Of course, all this shiting was prompted by me really wanting to finish with that guitar bit. But of course after all my efforts no-one even noticed it. Don't you just hate when that happens?

Ian said:
say that again...

I couldent be arsed reading it
Okayyyy...in short - the short fade was a compromise to accomodate another thing, which I really thought was a nice touch, but which no-one noticed afterwards. Don't you hate when that happens? When people don't notice some detail you've sweated over I mean.

I noticed the speedy wilson fade out!
I thought that was intentional givin the flavor of the song and as a fan of said style was duelly impressed with what I that was a homage oriantated fade out... which I like and would argue should stay...
You going to see the king in London in feb? I got my weekend booked me...

This is turining into one of those settler type threads where everyone asociated to the gig chats at before the show...

Psychotic no 2 said:
Who are you referring to Scuttering Fuck Balls (as I shall refer to YOU from hereon in)?

Call me what you like, as long as you don't call me to early in the etc etc...

Ian said:
I noticed the speedy wilson fade out!
I thought that was intentional givin the flavor of the song and as a fan of said style was duelly impressed with what I that was a homage oriantated fade out... which I like and would argue should stay...
You going to see the king in London in feb? I got my weekend booked me...

This is turining into one of those settler type threads where everyone asociated to the gig chats at before the show...
Yes yes but the fade out was only there to accomodate another detail, which no-one noticed/cared about. That was the great injustice. Anywas I guess as you say it works as a homage, in which case I win on both fronts.

No, saw him in the Point, thought it was a bit of a freakshow to be honest. Nice to see him in the flesh, but pretty sad all round. I mean he couldn't sing, didn't play keyboard (which I was looking forward), played bass for one song (and it prolly wasn't even plugged in) - the show would actually have been better musically if he was absent, as far as I was concerned.

Cant agree with you about the gig there dude

Still, it could prolly be argued that the beach boys trademark rapid fadeout were prolly to mask stressed out secction musician grinding to a horrable hault!

Psychotic no 2 said:
Did you see my excellent new purchase that I shall use to lure your keyboard player?

acually I forgot to click the link what with you tempting me with free booty

Ian said:
Cant agree with you about the gig there dude

Still, it could prolly be argued that the beach boys trademark rapid fadeout were prolly to mask stressed out secction musician grinding to a horrable hault!
have you evere heard that recording of rehearsals for Good Vibrations. It's so cool to hear say an organ, a bass, and a clarinet play and then Brian shouting "Hold it Hold it no no no.."

Psychotic no 2 said:
Michael Knight's lyrics have always fascinated me...what do they mean Mickey?

Things like "cosy (crusty) cores/wrapped in seeds I long to see/long to see in my home" have made me ponder. Even the seemingly simple ones, "lurching forward like foals" or "When I see them with sequins in their eyes" - that sounds sore.

I call on Mickey Knight to give us an insight into his lyrics if he wants anyone to go to this gig.
Hmm...the lyrics, eh?

They mean, at once, nothing, and yet many things. Or if that's not clear enough, they're just a bunch of loosely related images, y'know? The first being of apples that have been eaten and gone all brown, the second of foals stumbling around the place, the third people dazzled by sequins (so they show up in their eyes).

I mean, I dunno, do youse prefer yer lyrics (I mean in general, not mine) to be obtuse or all nice and literal? Summit to be said for both I reckons. Personally, from a writing point of view, it's just if I try the latter they come out all shite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back