No More Deaths On Our Streets (1 Viewer)

spiritualtramp said:
Totally agree. Legalising heroin is the way to go. .|..|

i take it you are being sacrastic, but honestly, if addicts could legally obtain pure heroin in measured dosages, it would:
-elimate fatalities and casualties due to contaminated / adulterated heroin
-decrease the amounts of deaths due to overdose (since the dosages are known and the purity of the substance consistent)
-remove income for criminal gangs

it is possible for heroin addicts, given they have clean works and gear, to live perfectly long and productive (if a little constipated) lives.

broken arm said:
surely if there was a bad batch of gear there would be more deaths and hospitalisations from 'non-homeless' users

Maybe there was. We may not hear about them because they weren't fatalities. Maybe homeless people are more likely to get their gear from a particularly sketchy source. I dunno. It's just a theory innih?

Spiritualine- Do you really think it should be legalised? Because if you were just being sarcastic, that aint like you to be so unconstructive.

Streetseen- fair play. I admire what you're doing, however, this Saturday, *like every other day I'm not working, I'll be walking around kicking and giving out to homeless people and telling them to get jobs/ get off the drugs/ stop making hardworking folk like meself feel guilty*. It's a kinda theraputic. Hope it all goes well for you.

*I'm out of the city.

Brian Conniffe said:
i take it you are being sacrastic, but honestly, if addicts could legally obtain pure heroin in measured dosages, it would:
-elimate fatalities and casualties due to contaminated / adulterated heroin
-decrease the amounts of deaths due to overdose (since the dosages are known and the purity of the substance consistent)
-remove income for criminal gangs

it is possible for heroin addicts, given they have clean works and gear, to live perfectly long and productive (if a little constipated) lives.

Why do people think I'm being sarcastic? There is nothing I'd be happier to see than freebie smack for heroin addicts. It will remove income from the dealers and reduce crime a lot.

I think the only argument against it is that it could still cause deaths, some people would still overdose (unless they are supervised beyond belief- expensive) and then that would be the governments fault for giving them gear. But people are dying of overdoses anyway, at least this would reduce some deaths.

spiritualtramp said:
Why do people think I'm being sarcastic? There is nothing I'd be happier to see than freebie smack for heroin addicts. It will remove income from the dealers and reduce crime a lot.

ah right, fair enough. thats the problem with the internet, tone doesnt translate well / can be mistaken.

I think the only argument against it is that it could still cause deaths, some people would still overdose (unless they are supervised beyond belief- expensive) and then that would be the governments fault for giving them gear. But people are dying of overdoses anyway, at least this would reduce some deaths.

in an ideal world there would be education regarding the safe use of drugs, and not all this "heroin is instantly addictive / one tab of ecstacy could kill you / cannabis leads on to harder drugs / causes schitzophrenia" scare tactic bollocks. personal responsibilty should be taught, while recognising that addiction is an illness of exposure and addicts have every right to help and treatment.
regarding fatal overdoses, it is perfectly possible to die from alcohol poisoning / overdose.
people are gonna take drugs, regardless of their (il)legality. i would argue that it is completely natural to experiment with / use psychoactive substances (be it alcohol, caffeine, opium or lsd: all with different functions and uses, many of the reasons for use justifiable and reasonable in my opinion [e.g. pain relief, relaxation, exploratory, spiritual, stimulation for testing situations etc]... one problem with the prohibition of drugs is the fact that completely and widely different substances are lumped together... putting psilocybin mushrooms in the same category as crack cocaine is absurd), its completely part of human nature. the "war on (some) drugs" is one of the most repugnant and vile affronts to personal freedom in our society.

went a bit with the ///s and (((())))s there. well well.

RTE are wankers for having that kind of thing up. I'd like to see the full report.

Fuckin media. I fuckin hate em when they do that kind of thing. Fuckers. I could write the Great Firhouse Novel on my disgust at how repugnantly the media treat homeless people /drug users/ prisoners. But I won't. I'll just shout CUNTS at my monitor instead.

Queen Buzzo said:
RTE are wankers for having that kind of thing up. I'd like to see the full report.

Fuckin media. I fuckin hate em when they do that kind of thing. Fuckers. I could write the Great Firhouse Novel on my disgust at how repugnantly the media treat homeless people /drug users/ prisoners. But I won't. I'll just shout CUNTS at my monitor instead.

it is pathetic.

Queen Buzzo said:
RTE are wankers for having that kind of thing

Eh? I'm assuming the [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sophia Housing Organisation gave them a press release. It isn't RTE's fault that the survey results are not pleasing. [/font]

Queen Buzzo said:
I'd like to see the full report.

Them Sophia lads need to update their website as the report isn't there yet.

Queen Buzzo said:

I'd agree that some elements of the media are cunts (tabloids) but RTE have broadcast some very informative programmes about these issues on radio and tv.

Caroline I'm talking about the way it was presented on that particular page with no context and no explanation. Dramatix. Bollox. You're right though, RTE do show some good shows about lots of social issues and they should commisssion a lot more.

Streetseen- how did this go man? Was talking to a couple of heads who seemed to think it was pretty successful.

Queen Buzzo said:
Streetseen- how did this go man? Was talking to a couple of heads who seemed to think it was pretty successful.

Amongst other things....

Protest went exceedingly well about 300 heads, not so much the numbers but the calibre of peeps present blew me away!! We had homeless street meeting after in Stephens Green, 30 homeless peeps present!! Again had street meeting Sunday morning 22 homeless peeps present.. from this we have initiated regular street organising meetings etc

From these meetings we will be protesting Dublin Housing committee on 26th and supplying a representive to address meeting..

Sleep out/Protest @ Dail 27th 6.30pm-10.00 a.m

Putting an emergency motion through DublinCity Council October 3.. should have have cross party support..labour, shiners, indys and greens etc.. Protest at Council meeting too

October 7th Ive been invited by Limerick Council to Limerick to address Council on What the council can do re Homelessness!

so all in all, fairly succesful event...

Tis only the beginning ;)
details are updated on http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=71896&results_offset=30

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back