Nick Drake (1 Viewer)

Pick one

• Total voters
Nick Drake makes me feel ill these days... Prolly a phase, like the phase I went through when I liked him.

Anyhoo, anyone member when Smile was called Blue Velvet?

Drake was so doomed. I went for Pink Moon as it sums him up best, even if it's a sombre listen. On a different day i'd go for Five Leaves left.

Never really got into Bryter Layter that much. Bit too upbeat/happy-clappy.

Anyhoo, anyone member when Smile was called Blue Velvet?

Yup, and sold vintage clothes as well as records.... man, we're old.
Gary was always v nice to me but v grumpy to random people, never seemed to be any logic to it. It's where I met my other half (smily young dude who worked there in the mid-90s), so I was very sad when it closed down :(

There was at least one person who made a pilgrimage all the way from England to touch the Nick Drake blanket!

I put Pink Moon on when I'd a hangover th'other day, it soothed the savage beast.

Gary was always v nice to me but v grumpy to random people, never seemed to be any logic to it. It's where I met my other half (smily young dude who worked there in the mid-90s), so I was very sad when it closed down :(

I remember him, was he called Willie? Friendly guy.

Willie. Always one of the friendlier record store dudes.

Yer man Gary was always randomly friendly/grumpy towards me, it was a serious lottery going in.

There was at least one person who made a pilgrimage all the way from England to touch the Nick Drake blanket!

I put Pink Moon on when I'd a hangover th'other day, it soothed the savage beast.

Was it actually Nick Drakes real blanket or a copy?

(There is a picture of Drake in this months Mojo, wearing his blankie, taken in Ireland)

I'll take Five Leaves Left. A masterclass of songwriting and arrangement.

it was the real one. it belongs to the photographer who is a friend of Gary from Smile and he lent it to Gary to display in the shop. wonder where it is now?

Gary is a cool guy - lives in London now I think. Willie is awesome.

Was it actually Nick Drakes real blanket or a copy?

The real one of course, otherwise why would people come all the way over from England to grope it?

When was this? I don't remember the shop. Wish i'd seen the blankey though. So were all the photos of him wearing it taken in Ireland?

It was later than that, it was still there in 1997 when I started going out with Willy. We left Ireland in 2001 and I think it was still there then. Gary does indeed live in London now, met up with him a couple of weeks ago.

Just to set the record straight if anyone cares :)

From Gary's Myspace page:

"On this day in 1990,Smile records first opened for business,a lot of fun was had & a lot of good friends were made before outrageous circumstance forced it's closure in 2003..."

Got reviewed recently and was described as sounding a bit like Nick Drake and John Martyn so off I went and bought an album of each of them cause I'd never really given either of them a serious listen. Thought Martyn was okay, but ended up listening to nothing but 'River Man' by Drake on repeat for about two weeks and walking around with the song in my head 24/7. Only just getting over it now. Only listened to it twice yesterday. Those strings just kill me!

Has anyone heard of anything else cool by your man Robert Kirby? just saw that he died last month. Shit buzz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back